Karen M. Robinson, PhD, PMHCNS, BC, FAAN
- Professor Emerita
- (502) 852-8512
Robinson, K.M. Co-Investigator, A Health Literacy Program to Prevent Alzheimers Disease in African American Community. Eisai R. Friedland (PI). 2009-2010
Robinson, K.M. Co-Investigator A Community as Partner Model to Integrated Mental Health in Vulnerable Populations. Foundation for a Healthy KY. K. Roberts (PI). July 2005-July 2006
Robinson, KM & Reinhard (2011). Policy Issues in Family Caregiving. Policy & Politics in Nursing and Healthcare, 6th Edition, by Diana Marson, Judith Leavitt, and Mary Chaffee. Elsvier, Book Chapter
Robinson, KM (2011). Faith and Spirituality: Supporting Caregivers of Individuals with Dementia. Caregivers Program Series. Project of the Rosalyn Carter Institute for Caregiving. Oxford University Press. Book Chapter.
Robinson, KM (2010). Policy issues in mental health among the elderly. Nursing Clinics of North America, 45, 627-634.* Roberts, K., Robinson, K.M., Smith & Stewart, C. (2009). An integrated Mental Heath Clinical Rotation. Journal of Nursing Education, August 33-44.
Robinson, KM & Reinhard, SC (2009). Looking Ahead in Long Term Care: The Next 50 Years. Nursing Clinics of North America, 44, 253-262.
Robinson, K.M., Tappen, R. M. (2008). Prevention of Violence in Long Term Care Facilities: Policy Recommendations. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 34(3), 10-14.
Roberts, K., Robinson, K.M., Stewart, C. & Wright.J. (2008). Integrated Mental Health Practice in a Nurse-Managed Health Center. The American Journal of Nurse Practitioners. 12(10), 33-47.
Roberts, K. Robinson, K.M. Topp, R. Smith & Stewart. C. (2008).Community Perceptions of Mental Health Needs in an Underserved Minority Neighborhood. Journal of Community Health Nursing, 25(4), 203-217.
Hines-Martin, V., Robinson, K. (2006). Supervision as Professional Development for Psychiatric Mental Health Nurses. Clinical Nurse Specialist, 20(6), 293-297.
Robinson, KM. (2006). Faith and Spirituality: Supporting Caregivers of Individuals with Dementia. Caregivers Program Book Series. Project of the Rosalyn Carter Institute for Caregiving. Oxford University Press.
Robinson, K. "Outcomes of Dementia Caregiver Interventions" at National Gerontological Nursing Association Annual Conference in Louisville, KY, October 2011
Robinson, K. Paper Present: Prevention of Alzheimer's Disease in African Americans. National Black Family conference, Louisville, Ky. March 12, 2010
Robinson, K.M. Care Coordination: What every nurse should know. Poster Presentation. American Academy of Nursing Annual Meeting. Scottsdale, AZ. November 6, 2008.
Newman, J., Topp, R., Robinson, K., Roberts, K. Mental health care needs of three underserved urban communities. The National State of the Science Congress in Nursing Research, Washington, DC. 10/12/06 - 10/14/06.
Robinson, K. "Outcomes of the Progressively Lowered Stress Threshold Intervention on Depression and Burden in AD Caregivers." Oral Presentation at the Alzheimer's Association International Conference in Paris, France on July 18, 2011
Robinson, K. Paper Presentation at 12th Annual Conf of International Society of psychiatric Nurses meeting in St. Louis, Mo. "Psychiatric Nurses' Involvement in Culture Change" on April, 15, 2010
A Program of Support and Education for Caregivers of Persons with Dementia. 17th International Nursing Research Congress of Sigma Theta Tau International Focusing on Evidence-Based Practice held in Montreal, Quebec, Canada in July 2006.
- Doctor of Nursing Science - Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis
- Master of Science in Nursing - University of Kentucky
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing - University of Evansville
- Alzheimer's and dementia
- Spirituality and caregiving
- Develop, implement and evaluate interventions helpful to family caregivers
- Building interventions using natural helping systems (community groups) to increase support in the community for caregivers
- Social support interventions
Honors & Awards
- UK College of Nursing Hall of Fame Finalist
- 2010: UK Celebration of 50 Outstanding Alumni, Lexington, KY
- 2009: Distinguished Service Award to the Profession Nominee, University of Louisville
- 2007-2008: Inaugural American Academy of Nursing/AARP Fellow residing in Washington, DC
- 2007: Anne Blincoe Conboy Oustanding Service in Nursing Award.
- 2006: Recognition of 10th Anniversary of Funding from Robert Wood Johnson Faith in Action Program
- 2006: HRSA Grant Reviewer-Comprehensive Geriatric Education Program, Washington DC
- Social Policy Committee, 2003-present
- Mental Health Association of Kentucky
- Kentucky Association of Gerontology
- KNA Cabinet on Nursing Practice
- American Academy of Nursing
- Volunteer Caregivers Program
- Southern Nursing Research Society
- Gerontological Society of America
- Louisville Chapter of Alzheimer's Disease and Related Disorders
- International Society for Psychiatric/MH Nursing
- Sigma Theta Tau, Iota Zeta Chapter
- American Nurses Association
- Kentucky Nurses Association