Marcia J. Hern, EdD, CNS, RN
- (502) 852-8300
Hern, M. J., Nash, W. & Ridner, L. (2009). Nurse practitioner center to open spring, 2009. The Women’s Center News at UofL. Vol. 16, (3), 1, 6.
Hern, M., Beery, T., & Barry, D. (2006). Experiences of college-age youth growing up in a family with a genetic condition. Journal of Family Nursing, 12(2), 119-142.
Hern, M., Weitkamp, T., Mason, D. & Vaughn, G. (2005). Creating an international education and practice exchange in the workplace. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 20(1), 34-44.
Beery, T. & Hern, M. (2004). Genetic practice, education and research: An overview for advanced practice nurses. Clinical Nurse Specialist, 18(3), 126-132.
Ramsey, J. Wilhelm, M. & Hern, M. (July 31, 2009-August 1, 2009). Leading beyond your comfort zone: Is nursing recession proof? Presidential Outreach, Dallas, TX.
Hern. M. (July 30, 2009). Expanding our presence: UofL Board of Trustees retreat. Galt House, Louisville, KY.
Hern, M. (May19, 2009). Fireside Chat with the Dean. Owensboro Medical Health System. Owensboro, KY
Hern, M. (February 21, 2009). Women as health care leaders. Association of University Women. University of Louisville.
Hern, M. (February 18, 2009). Leading beyond your comfort zone. Jewish Hospital Nursing Leadership Team, Louisville, KY
Sheriff, S., Mancuso, P., Mobley, C. & Hern, M. (March 29-30, 2007). Presentation on The TWU CON DNP at The Doctor of Nursing Practice: Meanings & Models - A Meeting of Minds conference, Annapolis, MD, hosted by Drexel University.
Hern, M. (October 12-14, 2006) Presenter Experiences of college-age youth while growing up in a family with a recessive genetic condition and moderator for Family Health session. Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science conference, Washington D.C.
Hern, M. (October 13, 2006). Invited keynote speaker: Leading beyond your comfort zone. Children’s Hospital Association of Texas Conference, Dallas, TX.
Hern, M. (PI), Mainous, R., Owens, H., Kiehl, E., Goss, L., Key, M. (2010). Improving nursing care through clinical informatics and e-health" HRSA Grant award, providing nursing faculty and University of Louisville Hospital nurses with development through national consultants on the use of clinical informatics and will provide additional equipment for clinical education with electronic health records, simulation and iPads.
Hern, M., (PI). Nash, W., Ridner, L. & Chlebowy, D. (2009). Facilitators and barriers of a proposed nurse practitioner center. In-kind focus groups to School of Nursing.
- EdD - University of Cincinnati
- Master's of Science in Nursing - University of Cincinnati
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing - The Ohio State University
- Parent-Child Nursing
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN), University of Louisville School of Nursing Representative (2007-present); Member, Program Committee, 2008-2010; Chair, Hot Issues Conference, Salt Lake City, UT, 2008-2010; Member, Advisory Group, Centralized Application Services, 2009-present; Dean Mentor to new deans 2009-present; Facilitator for the Academic Health Centers Discussion Group, 2010-2012
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, (CCNE) accreditation; Program Evaluator Training, Alexandria, VA, 2000, 2005, & 2008; Program Evaluator, 2000-present
Honors & Awards
- 2012 AACN Inaugural Wharton Executive Leadership Program, August 14-17.
- 2010 HERS Institute Leadership for Women at the University of Denver (August, September, October, 2010)
- Helene Fuld Fellow, American Association of Colleges of Nursing Leadership for Academic Nursing Program, March-October, 2002
- Internship with James Plummer, University of Cincinnati Associate Vice President and Director of Budget Planning, May 2002-January 2003
- 2007-present: American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
- 2000-present: Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
- 2008-present: Kentucky Nursing Consortium Committee (KNCC) Deans and Directors Group
- 2008-present: Kentucky Team for Nursing Education Capacity (KYTNEC)
- 2007-present: Kentucky Hospital Association CNOs and Deans
- 2008-present: Kentucky Institute of Medicine