Marianne Hutti, PhD, WHNP-BC
Research presentation: “A Psychometric Evaluation of the Perinatal Grief Intensity Scale in the Subsequent Pregnancy after a Perinatal Loss” at the 15th Annual Conference of the National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health, October 12, 2012, in Orlando, Florida. Co-Investigators: Deborah S. Armstrong, PhD, RN & John Myers, PhD. Received Research Award, Podium Presentation Competition
Validity and Reliability of the Perinatal Grief Intensity Scale in the Subsequent Pregnancy after Perinatal Loss – Investigators: Marianne H. Hutti, Deborah S. Armstrong, and John Myers. Presented at the 2012 International Conference for Researchers and Medical Professionals, International Stillbirth Association Conference, Washington, DC, October 5, 2012.
"Gaming as a Teaching Strategy for HSC Students", presented at Health Science Center Teaching Grand Rounds Series, March 10, 2011, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY
"Role of Nursing Students in Community Education", inaugural speaker for Conversations on Community Engagement, February 22, 2011. University of Louisville, Louisville, KY
"From College to Career: Developing Generation NeXt", panel discussion member on this topic at the Celebration of Teaching and Learning Conference, February 11, 2011, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY
Research presentation: "Healthcare Utilization in a Subsequent Pregnancy after Loss" at the 13th Annual Conference of the National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women's Health, Desert Springs, CA, 2010
"Subsequent Pregnancies after Stillbirth: Advice Given by Healthcare Providers": research poster presentation at the annual meeting of the National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women's Health, 2009. Received Best Research Poster Award.
Invited speaker for the third “First Candle” International Stillbirth Conference, November 3-8, 2008 in Oslo, Norway. Invited papers presented:
“State of the Science Related to Psychosocial Issues in Pregnancy After Perinatal Loss” (Research Track)
“Clinical Care Implications of Subsequent Pregnancy After Perinatal Loss” (Clinical Track)
“Knowing What to Expect in a Subsequent Pregnancy” (Parents’ Track)
“Current Issues in Contraception: Racing Ahead of the Media”, presented at the 2008 Conference of the Kentucky Coalition of Nurse Practitioners and Nurse Midwives, Louisville, KY, April 23, 2008.
“Creating an Effective Professional Presentation”, presented at the 2008 Women’s and Children’s Conference, Cleveland, Ohio, April 17, 2008.
“2008 Update on Sexually Transmitted Infections” presented at the 2008 Women’s and Children’s Conference, Cleveland, Ohio, April 18, 2008.
“New Options in Contraception”, dinner meeting speaker for Organon on Nuvaring, Louisville, KY, March 13, 2008.
Phi Kappa Phi Induction Presentation: “Meeting the Challenges of Life after Graduation (or: Anyone can Hold the Helm When the Sea is Calm)”, May 7, 2007, University of Louisville, University Club.
Two invited presentations on “Pregnancy and Nutrition” to students at Zayed University, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, March 28, 2007
“Active Learning Strategies for Unit Business Administrators” presented as part of University of Louisville UBA training, February 2, 2007.
“Staying Healthy in Belize”, presented to the International Service Learning Program students from 8 different disciplines on January 21, 2007.
“International Service Learning in Belize, Central America”, presented at the State of Kentucky Engagement Conference, Lexington, KY on November 29, 2006.
“2006 Contraceptive Update” and “Troubleshooting Problems with Hormonal Contraception”, two 1.5 hour presentations presented at the 21st Annual Conference for Advanced Practice Nurses, Indianapolis, Indiana, on October 17, 2006.
“The Nurse’s Role in Medical Missions”, presented for the Kentucky Association of Nursing Students annual convention in Louisville, KY, October 6, 2006.
“2006 STD Update”, a 1.5 hour presentation at the Section V AWHONN Meeting, Columbus, Ohio, on August 4, 2006.
“Bereavement Counseling on the Cutting Edge: Using Research to Guide the Way”: Invited speaker for the second “First Candle” International Stillbirth Conference, June 1-6, 2006, Yokohama, Japan.
Hutti, M.H., Armstrong, D.S., Ziegler, C. & Myers, J. (2011). Healthcare utilization in a pregnancy following a perinatal loss. MCN: The American Journal of Maternal-Child Nursing, 36(2), 104-111. (Peer Reviewed)
Hutti, M.H., Armstrong, D.S., Ziegler, C. & Myers, J. (Submitted January, 2010). Healthcare utilization in a pregnancy following a perinatal loss. MCN: The American Journal of Maternal-Child Nursing (Peer Reviewed)*
Armstrong, D.S., Hutti, M.H., & Meyer, J.(2009). Perinatal loss and psychological distress after the subsequent birth of a healthy infant. JOGNN, 38(6), 654-666. (Peer Reviewed)*
Rådestad, I., Hutti, M., Wredling, R., and Onlov, E. (resubmitted December, 2010). Subsequent pregnancy after stillbirth: Advice given by healthcare providers. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica. (Under peer review)*.
Cunningham, H.R., Kennedy, J., Clark, T., Walker, K.L., Hart, J.L., Hutti, M.H., Mainous, R.O., Coleman, M., Strenecky, B.J., & Todd, D.J. (2008). Providing health care: Using an interdisciplinary international service-learning approach. In Service-Learning in Higher Education: Paradigms & Challenges, (Mary Moore & Phylis Lan Lin, Eds). University of Indianapolis Press, Indianapolis, IN.
Logsdon, M.C. & Hutti, M.H. (2006). Readability: An important issue impacting women with postpartum depression. MCN: The American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing, 31(6), 350-355. (Peer Reviewed)
Hutti, M. & Kiehl, E. Ideas to Action, "Proposal for i2A Implementation in the School of Nursing" - Spring 2010
Armstrong, D. & Hutti, M. (PIs) University of Louisville IRIG Research on Women Grant: "Exploring Mothers' Experience of Parenting a Subsequent Healthy Infant after a Prior Perianatal Loss", University of Louisville Staff/Faculty Professional "Small Grant for travel, 2009
Summer Research Funding - University of Louisville School of Nursing, 2003
Armstrong, D. & Hutti, M. (PIs), Looney, S. (Co-I) National Institutes of Health, R15 AREA Grant to the National Institute for Nursing Research: "Perinatal Loss and the Birth of a Subsequent Child", 2003-2005
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing, University of Kentucky
- Master of Science in Nursing, University of Kentucky
- PhD of Nursing Science, Indiana University
- OB/GYN Nurse Practitioner Program, Indiana University
- 1998-2007: International Service Learning Program (ISLP), University of Louisville. School of Nursing Faculty Representative: responsible for selecting and preparing 6-8 BSN and MSN students to attend 7-10 day long medical "mission" trip in which we provide nursing care as part of an interdisciplinary team of healthcare professionals from UofL to a poor, remote village in Belize, Central America.
Honors & Awards
- National Research Ward, Nurse Practitioners in Women's Health (NPWH), 2012
- Faculty Favorite Award, Delphi Center for Teaching and learning, University of Louisville, 2012
- Faculty Favorite Award, Delphi Center for Teaching and Learning, University of Louisville, 2010
- Community Engagement Award, University of Louisville, for work by the Hutti group in N473: Community Leadership Practicum, 2010
- First Place, national research podium competition at the annual meeting of Nurse Practitioners in Women's Health (NPWH), for presentation entitled "Healthcare Utilization in a Subsequent Pregnancy After Perinatal Loss", 2010
- Voted "Outstanding Undergraduate Faculty Member" by graduating seniors, University of Louisville School of Nursing, 2010
- Inaugural Dean Hern Teaching Award, in recognition of outstanding teaching and pedagogy: Awarded December, 2009
- “Best Research Poster Presentation” – National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health Annual Conference, October, 2009
- Inducted as an Honorary Member, along with two other university faculty members, into the Golden Key International Honor Society, during the induction ceremony of selected undergraduate and graduate students from the University of Louisville, on October 21, 2007. Nominated for membership by students.
- Inducted into Phi Kappa Phi International Honor Society as the only university faculty member to be inducted along with selected outstanding graduate students, seniors in the top 10% and juniors in the top 5% of their classes; served as Keynote Speaker for Induction Ceremonies at the University Club, University of Louisville on May 7, 2007. Nominated for membership by faculty colleague.
- Selected as one of five Women’s Health Nurse Practitioners nationally to review and revise the Scope and Standards of Practice for Women’s Health Nurse Practitioners developed collaboratively between NPWH and AWHONN. Represented AWHONN on this Task Force during Spring, 2007.
- Selected as one of 10 Women’s Health Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants nation-wide to participate in the first Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant Scientific Advisory Panel for Wyeth Pharmaceuticals on May 18-20, 2007 in Dallas, Texas.
- Recognized as “Outstanding Service Learning Faculty Member”, January, 2006 by the International Service Learning Program, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY.
- 2006-present: International Stillbirth Alliance (ISA); Invited member, Scientific Advisory Committee, 2006-2012; Elected Member, Nominating Committee: 2006-2007
- 1998-present: National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women's Health (NPWH); Member, National Research Committee, 2001-2012.
- 1979-present: American Nurses Association
- 1979-present: Kentucky Nurses Association; District-Elected Second Vice-President, District 1, 1982-1983; Public Relations and Membership Committee, 1989-1991; State, Elected Secretary, Maternal-Child Council on Practice, 1982-1984
- 1976-present: Association of Women's Health, Obstetric, and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN); State-Appointed Kentucky Section Education Coordinator, 1988-1991; District V Regional Meeting Program Planning Committee, 1989-1991; National-AWHONN representative to Task Force from AWHONN and the National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women's Health to revise the Women's Health Nurse Practitioner Educational Guidelines and Standards of the Practice: 2001-2002 & 2007-2008; National-AWHONN representative to the Editorial Panel for the Lange video and CD-Rom series on women's health, 2000-2001; National-member, Nominations Committee, 2003
- 1992-present: Kentucky Coalition of Nurse Practitioners and Nurse Midwives (KCNPNM), ; Program Committee, 1993-2002; KCNPNM representative to the Advanced Practice Council, Kentucky Board of Nursing, 1997-2007
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP), 1992-present
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF), 1993-2005
- Southern Nursing Research Society (SNRS) - Charter Member, 1986-present
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) – Invited Educational Affiliate, 1999-present
- Regional Task Force for Preventing Teen Pregnancy – appointed by County Judge David Armstrong, 1996-1998
- Kentucky Board of Nursing Competency Work Group, 1998-2000