Said K. Abusalem, PhD, RN
- Assistant Professor
- (502) 852-4107
Abusalem, S. Prevention of Central Lines Associated Blood stream infections (CLABSIs). Infection Prevention and control conference, Infectious disease department and Kentucky Hospital Association. Somerset, KY. .December, 2012.
Abusalem, S. Value Purchasing & Hospital Quality. Conference For healthcare transparency & patient advocacy. Lexington, KY. Nov. 9, 2012.
Abusalem, S. Nurse sensitive Value based purchasing. Lecture (quest lecturer) to the doctorate students in the health policy course. Louisville, KY. Fall, 2012.
Aljeesh, Y., Abusalem, S. (2012). Risk Factors for Dyslipidemia among Hypertensive Patients. Podium Presentation at the Second International Conference on Basic & Applied Sciences (ICBAS2 2012). 9-11Oct. 2012 at Al Azhar University -Gaza, Gaza Strip, Palestine NA.
Abusalem, S. Providing spiritual care: Nurses role. A quest lecturer for fundamentals of nursing students at the University of Louisville SON. Summer, 2012.
Abusalem, S., Lehna, C., Ridner, S.L., Holmes, S. (2012). Moving Evidence Based Research to the Bedside. MNRS 2012 Conference, Dearborn, Michigan (April 12-15, 2012).
Shaqfa, K., Aljeesh, Y., Abusalem, S., Coty, M. (2012). Perceived Job Autonomy among Nursing Managers in Gaza Government Hospitals at MNRS 2012 Conference, Dearborn, Michigan (April 12-15, 2012).
Coty, M., Myers, J., Salt, E., & Abusalem, S. Factors Affecting Role Strain in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Rheumatoid Arthritis. American College of Rheumatology/Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals Annual Scientific Meeting, Chicago, Illinois (November 4-9, 2011)
Abusalem, S. Predictors of home health nurses changes in practice after experiencing care errors. American Public Health Association, Denver, CO, November, 2010
Abusalem, S. How do home health nurses cope with care errors? MNRS Conference. Indianapolis, IN, March, 2008.
Abusalem, S. Perceived home health care errors. APHA meeting and exposition. San Diego, CA, October, 2008.
Abusalem, S. Home health care errors. Research! Louisville, University of Louisville, KY, October, 2007.
Saman, D., Kavanagh, K., Abusalem, S. (In Press). Redefining the standardized infection ratio to aid in consumer value purchasing. Journal of Patient Safety.
Kavanagh, K., Abusalem, S. (2012). A Perspective on the evidence regarding MRSA surveillance. Journal of Patient Safety.8 (3):140-3.
Kavanagh, K., Ciminotti, J., Abusalem, S., Coty, C. (2012). Moving healthcare quality forward with nursing sensitive measures and value purchasing. Journal of Nursing Scholarship.
Abusalem, S., Myers, J., Jeesh, Y. (2012). Patient satisfaction in home health care. Journal of Clinical Nursing. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2012.04211.x
Landers, T., Abusalem, S., Coty, M. B., & Bingham, J. (January 01, 2012). Patient-centered hand hygiene: the next step in infection prevention. American Journal of Infection Control, 40, 4, 11-7.
Kavanagh, K., Abusalem, S., & Saman, D. M. (January 01, 2012). A Perspective on the Evidence Regarding Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus Surveillance. Journal of Patient Safety, 8, 3, 140-3.
Abusalem, S., Heather. H., (2011) Perceived home health care errors. Rehabilitation Nursing. 36(3): 98-105, 128.
Kavanagh, K., & Abusalem, S. (2011) Mounting evidence supports universal surveillance for MRSA in preoperative patients. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 213(2): 335-336
Abusalem, S., Coty, M. (2011) Home health nurses coping with practice care error. Journal of Research in Nursing. doi: 10.1177/1744987111431
Abusalem, S. (2012), GOJO Industries, Inc. – in support of the Infection Prevention Hand Hygiene Consortium Meeting and attendance of the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC) conference in Saint Antonio, Tx
Abusalem, S. (2011) GOJO Industries, Inc. - in support of Patient Hand Hygiene Domain Research Summary for the Infection Prevention Hand Hygiene Consortium.
Abusalem, S. (2008). Support for a presentation at the American Public Health Association annual meeting. University of Louisville, SON Executive Committee.
Abusalem, S. (2001). Support for a presentation at the American Public Health Association annual meeting. University of Kentucky, Graduate School.
Abusalem, S. (2000). Health care ethics: An Islamic perspective. Jerusalem: Palestinian Nursing Association.
- PhD - University of Kentucky, Lexington
- Master of Science in Nursing - Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing - Alquds University, West Bank, P. N. A.
- Home Health
- Predictors of Pneumonia and Influenza Vaccination Programs in Nursing Homes
- Nursing and healthcare outcomes in long-term care.
- Patient/Resident safety in long-term care, including nursing homes and home health.
- Improving safety culture and nurses' response to care error.
- Nurse/Patient satisfaction and other outcomes of care in long term care.
Honors & Awards
- 2008: Honorable Mention for the Aging and Rural Health research Award (Oct., 2008) at the Gerontological Health Section of the American Public Health Association 136th Annual Meeting and exposition, San Diego, CA.
- 1999, 2000, 2001: Doris Hatchall Scholarship Award at the University of Kentucky
- 2000: Commonwealth Research Award at the University of Kentucky
- 1997-1998: Fulbright Scholarship Award administered by the Amideast, Washington, DC.
- Midwest Nursing Research Society (MNRS), member and abstract reviewer
- American Public Health Association (APHA), member and abstract reviewer
- Sigma Theta Tau International, member and delegate for Iota Zeta Chapter
- Fulbright Association
- Nursing Association of Gaza