UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE
SCHOOL OF NURSING
JOB DESCRIPTION, DEAN
The Dean shall:
- Facilitate the accomplishment of the scholarships of teaching, research, creative, and scholarly activities, in line with an academic Health Sciences Center and a research intensive university.
- Be the academic and administrative leader of the School of Nursing.
- Report to the President or appropriate University offices.
- Administer the SON according to the University and SON Bylaws and policies.
- Keep the administrative offices of the University, as required by The Redbook, and the faculty fully informed concerning the educational and financial status of the School of Nursing.
- Maintain effective relationships with alumni and relevant internal and external constituents.
- Work with internal and external constituents to assure support for the School of Nursing.
- Function as chief fiscal and personnel manager of the unit.
- Be responsible for all cooperative programs involving the School of Nursing and other units of the University.
- Represent the School, formally and informally, to the University, community and the world.
- Oversee academic, research, and practice and service programs with other agencies.
- Oversee evaluation of faculty and staff.
- Be responsible for such additional duties as may be assigned by the Board of Trustees or University Administration Offices.
- Facilitate faculty development and resources for the use of technology in education, practice, and research.
- Facilitate the presence of faculty as presenters and organizational leaders at local, national, and international levels.
- Facilitate implementation of the unit and university diversity plans.
- Advance the SON to achieve the strategic plan of the unit and the university.
- Implement an Evaluation Plan for the School of Nursing.
Approved by faculty 12.11.08