Family Orientation Checklist
Use this list as a guide so that you are sure to take care of important business before the start of school in August. Pay special attention to some items that should be done before your orientation session.
- Know your child's student ID number. This number is on their Certificate of Admission.
- Be sure your student understands how to check their UofL e-mail account.
- If the student is planning to live on campus, please apply for housing as soon as possible. They can apply for housing online. If they do not plan to live on campus they will need to go through the exemption process. Instruction for this process can be found here.
- Submit your orientation registration request online (registration will open February 20 at 3:00 pm EST).
- Review the student's Financial Aid award letter, please feel free bring your questions to your orientation session to discuss with a financial aid counselor.
- Students must complete the Foreign Language Placement test online by early May. They will NOT be allowed to register for any foreign language courses if they do not complete this exam prior to their orientation session. THIS IS A CRITICAL COMPONENT TO YOUR STUDENT'S ACADEMIC ADVISING SESSION.
- Once your student is registered for the Fall semester, an electronic billing notification will be sent to the student’s UofL e-mail account in early July. Please refer to the Bursar’s webpage for information on due dates, payment options, payment plans. Here, you may find the Parents/Student FAQ helpful. It includes how parents can receive electronic notifications and electronic payment access as an Authorized Payer.
- Students that may expect a refund of their financial aid will also be receiving and need to activate their Bank Mobile card. In order to expedite any potential refund, please follow the directions found here.
- Plan to participant in many of the Welcome Weekend events planned for the weekend prior to the start of classes. Many events are open to everyone, friends, family and especially you.
- Review the .
- Read over the Parent Association now! It is the mission of the Parent Association to offer programs and services, regular communication, and outreach to parents and families to assist students in continuing their academic success throughout their college experience.