Early Childhood Music Therapy
This program is designed for typically developing children ages 0-5 as well as those with developmental disabilities. Here, music is utilized as a non-threatening medium to enhance the social, emotional, physical and cognitive development of each child. This group is a great place for inclusion. Through developmental, bonding and exploratory objectives, the trained therapists used a variety of activities, instruments, props and visuals to help enhance the abilities of clients with the present of parent/guardian participating in the group.
From The American Music Therapy Association’s article titled, Music Therapy and Young Children , music therapy “provides a unique variety of music experiences in an intentional and developmentally appropriate manner to effect changes in a child’s behavior and facilitate development of his/her communication, social/emotional, sensory-motor, and/or cognitive skills” (AMTA, 2006)
How it works:
The present therapists utilizes singing, developmental play and music play, active music making, movement interventions, musical stories and more to help clients achieve developmental milestones at an individual pace. Parents welcome and encouraged to participate.
We play, sing, move and groove and it is sure to be a good time every week!
Projected Outcomes & Benefits May Include:
- Improved hand-eye coordination
- Improved fine/gross motor skills
- Increased body and spatial awareness
- Improved learning, memory, behavior, impulse control
- Improvement in acquisition and application of pre-academic and academic skills
- Improved expressive and receptive language skills
- Learn early social skills including facial affect and emotions
- Develop interpersonal relationships
- Improve group behaviors such as: sharing, turn-taking, working in a group etc.
- Improved coping and problem-solving skills
- Enhanced self-esteem
- Increased regulation of emotions