The University of Louisville School of Music Announces
the Frank Robert Abell Young Composers Competition for New Chamber Music - Enter Online
First Prize, $3,000 USD
Second Prize, $2,000 USD
This Award was established by a generous bequest from the estate of Frank Robert Abell, a longtime Louisville philanthropist with close ties to the University of Louisville School of Music. He had a deep love for contemporary music and a strong desire to help younger composers.
Eligibility: Any composer residing in North America (U.S.A., Canada, Mexico), age 18-26 on the date of the deadline for submission. Employees or current students of the University of Louisville, or their spouses or children, are not eligible. Winners will be required to confirm their date of birth and residency before the Award is conferred.
Deadline: April 20, 2013
- Only one entry per composer
- Works must have been completed within three years of the submission deadline
- Minimum length: 8 minutes; no restriction as to maximum length
- For 3-8 performers. Works may include voice(s) and/or electronics (fixed media and/or live). In the case of live electronics, performers required must be included in the total of 3-8 performers. In the case of fixed media, personnel required merely to turn on playback must not be counted in the 3-8 performers.
- A score and recording must be submitted digitally. Recording must be of the exact forces indicated in the score. Both live performances and studio recordings are welcome. No MIDI realizations or other artificial playback accepted.
There is no entry fee.
Winners agree that the School of Music may perform the winning works without fee or royalty in perpetuity.
The Committee reserves the right to withhold either or both prizes.
The University of Louisville School of Music will seek out opportunities to perform the winning works, especially at the annual New Music Festival, but such performances are not guaranteed.
2012 Composition Competition Winners
We are pleased to announce the winners of the 2012 composition contests. There were many excellent submissions this year! The works were reviewed independently by our composition faculty. Numerous works were standouts. Congratulations to our winners!
The Frank Robert Abell Young Composer Competition for New Chamber Music: Christopher LaRosa for "Symmetries"
The University of Louisville Young Composer Competition for New Electro-acoustic Music: Dexter Ford for "Barbershop"
The Frank Robert Abell Young Composer Competition for New Chamber Music:
2011 Hunjoo Jung, "Maria! I must be Awakened to Your Soul"
2010 Nathan Heidelberger, "Of Songs"
The University of Louisville Young Composer Competition for New Electro-acoustic Music:
2011 Ryan Gaston, "Nocturne (Crickets: Inside & Out)"
2010 Emilie Payeur, “Etude Claire et Nette”