- Introductions, sharing of backgrounds that may include culture and gender issues, interests personal information.
CREATE A CONNECTION
- Explain mentor-mentee roles, relationship the mentoring process. Explain expectations. (Can include a "negotiated" agreement/plan.)
CLARITY OF CONSENSUS ON PURPOSE
- Orientation to the local site, department, staff, organization community as needed.
- Orientation to new job responsibilities, work processes, competencies expectations
REDUCE THE STRESS INCREASE THE TEAM FEELING
- Work together to prepare plan for start of the mentee’s work assignment.
- Mutual sharing of ideas, discovering how work flow, time paper work management, and collaboration support both partners' work effectiveness and learning development.
GOOD START, BUILD TEAM, MENTOR SEEN AS A CARING HELPER
- Joint analysis of issues and problems
- Help person discover own solutions to problems
- Development of options, strategies plans to implement evaluate results
DEVELOPMENT OF CRITICAL THINKING, KNOWLEDGE SELF AWARENESS
- Building a strong mentor-mentee’s relationship
- Reinforce mentee’s self-esteem confidence
- Explore each others' career dreams, views strengths as professionals as persons
- Be honest and develop a source of trust without being judgmental
MENTOR IS SEEN AS TRUSTWORTHY AN OPENNESS IS CREATED
- Discovering the "big picture" such as:
- planning activities as a sequence
- assessing results and adjusting activities to increase effectiveness
- worrying less about following plans more about accomplishing a plan's purpose
MENTOR SEEN AS A MODEL MENTEE’S IS INCREASING SKILL, INSIGHT INTO MENTEE/ORGANIZATIONAL FIT
- Building a 2-way relationship where mutual feedback and support for learning increased effectiveness is the norm.
- Opportunity mutual for growth
PROMOTE MENTOR MENTEE’S GROWTH
- Building a peer relationship, promoting the mentee’s ability to work independently, but maintaining support for each other's growth.
- Promoting learning support links with other faculty, creating a broader team concept
PROMOTING MENTOR MENTEE’S INTER-DEPENDENCE