Everything you need to know about making an appointment and visiting a U of L pulmonary or sleep doctor.
U of L Health Care Outpatient Center
401 East Chestnut Street (corner of Preston & Chestnut streets)
Louisville, KY 40202
Office hours: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
To schedule, reschedule, or cancel an appointment, please call 502-813-6500 or toll free 1-877-584-8563 during our office hours.
New patients can call 502-813-6500 or toll free 1-800-584-8563 to speak with an Ambulatory Patient Experience Program representative who will help you choose a physician to meet your needs.
We are CLOSED on the following holidays or designated observances in 2012:
Memorial Day: Monday, May 28
Independence Day: Wednesday, July 4
Labor Day: Monday, September 3
Thanksgiving: Thursday-Friday, November 22-23
Christmas: Tuesday, December 25
On your first visit, please plan to arrive 20 minutes early. To expedite your registration, please bring the following with you:
A current insurance card.
Co-pay or deposit (if necessary).
List of your current medicines including the dose and time of day taken.
Doctor insurance referral (if necessary). You can call your primary care doctor to have a referral faxed to our office. You will need to provide the name of the specialist doctor, your appointment date, and the reason for the referral.
Pertinent medical records. Please have your referring doctor fax pertinent medical records (doctor notes, test results, x-ray or other procedure reports) if possible one week before your appointment with us.
Please obtain (if possible) a copy of any recent (within a year) x-rays and CT scans that on a computer disk and hand carry to your appointment with us. These can be obtained by contacting the medical facility in which these were done.
We accept most major insurance plans. We recommend that you call your
health insurance company to find out which clinic services are covered by your
individual health plan coverage.
- Make sure you have your current insurance card with you at all times.
- Be familiar with your insurance benefits. It is the patient's responsibility to know the insurance carrier's requirements and procedures.
- Make sure your physician and the health center are listed as a participating provider in your plan's provider book.
- If your insurance carrier requires a referral authorization, contact your primary care physician prior to seeing a specialist.
- Do not schedule an appointment with a specialist until your primary care physician obtains a referral authorization from your insurance company.
- Be aware that most referral authorizations are good for a certain number of visits and have an expiration date. If your specialist requires more visits than your specified amount or if the date of the visit has expired, it is your responsibility to contact your primary care physician prior to going back to the specialist.
For questions or assistance related to billing, fees, co-pays, benefits, Medicare, payment policies and financial services, please contact our billing department at 502-589-4856, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
► Prescription Refills
Prescription refills and authorizations are answered between 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Refill requests must be sent by your pharmacy for approval.
Once we receive the request from your pharmacy, our standard turnaround time is within 24 hours during weekdays with physician approval. The pharmacy turnaround time will vary, so please allow ample time for refills.
Please have your pharmacy fax refill requests to 502-589-6576.
► Medical Records
For medical records requests, please contact us at 502-813-6350 or toll free at 1-877-584-8563.
A signed medical release form is required before we can release your medical records to you or others designated by you.
Requests may be mailed to:
University Medical Associates
401 East Chestnut Street Suite 310
Louisville, KY 40202