The specialists in this division direct the Intensive Care Unit at University of Louisville Hospital, Jewish Hospital, and the Robley Rex Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
In this unit, patients who require intensive care following an infection , major surgery or severe breathing problems receive close, constant attention from a team of specially trained professionals.
These patients often require support for hemodynamic instability, respiratory compromise, cardiac dysrhythmias, and multiple organ system failure. A comprehensive multidisciplinary team is available to provide every aspect of care that may be needed at.
At Jewish Hospital, our Critical Care Service provides care to patients following solid organ transplant, CABG, VAD and ECMO.
Our physicians are highly skilled in the procedures essential to the diagnosis and management of critical care patients including indications, contraindications, complications, performance, and interpretation of results. Among the services we perform are:
- Advanced cardiac life support
- Arterial blood gas sampling and interpretation
- Chest tube thoracostomy
- Endotracheal intubation and airway management
- Pulmonary artery catheterization
- Radiology including: Plain films, computed tomography, nuclear medicine, magnetic resonance, interventional radiographic techniques
- Vascular access placement
- Ventilator management
- Fiber-optic guided percutaneous tracheostomy
- Goal directed Ultra Sonography
- Immunonutrition for
- Among the areas of special interest are Community and
Hospital acquired pneumonia, nutrition in critically ill patients, Adult
Respiratory Distress Syndrome and sepsis.