How to Apply to our Program
IS THIS PROGRAM FOR YOU?
This competitive program has approximately 24 per academic year; with fall admissions only. This program is available to in state and out of state students.
This program is designed for the following students:
- Students interested in going to medical school to become a physician.
- Students who did not major in biology, chemistry or physics.
- Students who have not taken any required pre-med science courses or have taken a minimal amount (preferably 12 hours or less) - general biology; general chemistry, organic chemistry and physics (including labs). *Please note: Exceptions may be made for pre-med course work taken 10 or more years ago. Most sciences for nursing or sports/exercise science would not be considered pre-med level courses (e.g., Human Anatomy & Physiology, Kinesiology) and will not be counted in their 12 hours.
This program is not designed for the following students:
- Students who have completed a substantial amount of pre-med course requirements (biology, chemistry and/or physics). Please note: We are seeking first time science takers, not students requesting to repeat pre-med level science courses already taken. *Please note: Exceptions may be made for pre-med course work taken 10 or more years ago.
- Students seeking academic enhancement or remediation in the sciences after taking a substantial amount of pre-med courses.
- Students currently preparing to take or retake the MCAT.
- Students currently applying to or reapplying to medical school.
- Students interested in another health field besides clinical medicine (e.g., dentistry, pharmacy, physical therapy, nursing,etc.).
- Applicants who were denied and are reapplying for a different application cycle.
For a listing of other post-bac programs that may be more suitable, please go to http://services.aamc.org/postbac/.
- Bachelors degree earned from an accredited college or university in the United States
- Undergraduate or Graduate minimum grade point average of 3.3
- Must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Must have 0 - 12 credit hours of pre-medical science requirements completed (12 hours or less is preferred).
*Please note: Exceptions may be made for pre-med course work taken 10 or more years ago.
You must provide a standardized test score. Your application cannot be considered without one. The minimum ACT composite score is 24 and the minimum SAT composite score is 1200/1600 or 1750/2400. Advanced testing such as GRE, GMAT, LSAT (50th percentile).
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
The application process is two-fold and a separate selection process. Students must be admitted to U of L to participate in our program if selected. You are allowed to apply to both at the same time or you may apply to our program first to see if you get accepted and then enroll at U of L.
If you are not currently enrolled at U of L, you must apply for admission as a non-degree post-bac through the College of Arts and Sciences. Please do not apply as a Continuing Studies Student , second degree senior or as a regular undergraduate.
To access an application, go to http://louisville.edu/admissions/. There is a non-refundable fee for transfer students, but not for U of L alumni.
Applicants to our program are reviewed by the Program Advisory Committee, who play a vital role in the selection process. Applicants will either be accepted, denied or if the program is full, they may be wait listed and considered as an alternate if a spot should become available. Occasionally a student may receive a delayed decision pending their academic performance during a current semester.
Applicant files will be reviewed to determine and interview. If an interview is granted, the committee will reconvene to discuss the applicant and determine if they will be accepted or not. The entire process can take approximately 4 weeks or more. Applicants will receive an e-mail regarding their status. Applicants are not notified over the phone.
If you are not selected for the program, you may continue as a non-degree post-bac or a second degree senior at U of L. You may seek pre-med advising from the following; Arts & Sciences Advising Center at 502-852-5502; the Biology Department at 852-6771 or the Chemistry Department at 852-6798.
For more details, please go to Applicant Interview.
FALL 2013 APPLICATION CYCLE
The fall 2013 application cycle will begin on December 1 - March 31, 2013. The fall 2013 semester begins on Monday August 26, 2013. Accepted applicants are not to begin their U of L pre-med course work until the fall semester (not summer 2013).
WHERE TO SEND YOUR APPLICATION
Please have your application materials mailed to the University of Louisville, College of Arts & Sciences Advising, PBPMP, Gardiner Hall, Louisville KY 40292. Materials may be mailed together or separately. There is not an application fee for our program.