Suresh C. Tyagi, Ph.D.
SURESH C. TYAGI, Ph.D.
University of Aligarh, India, 1980
Heart and Vascular Remodeling, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hyperhomocysteinemia
Our goal is to understand the mechanism of cardiovacular-renal remodeling in hypertension, diabetes, and heart failure. One of our principal aims is to understand the mechanism of dilation in the absence of endothelial nitric oxide. It is widely believed that nitric oxide is the primarily dilatory agent, direct or indirect. There are numerous circumstances when nitric oxide is diminished or tissue is without nitric oxide. In this situation the metalloproteinase is activated and dilates the tissue. The initial disruption of extracellular matrix is essential for cell survival. However, prolong disconnection between cell and matrix leads to cell death, necrosis or apoptosis. We employ two approaches: 1) create chronic heart failure by volume overload arteriovenous fistula; and 2) oxidative conditioning is created by homocysteine overload, using transgene and promoter dashing (on/off) genomic models. The specific cells responsible for pathogenesis are identified by employing laser dissecting microscope, differential display, and microarray analyses. The biochemical, molecular, and immunohistochemical techniques, along with ex vivo and in vivo physiological methods, are used to test our hypotheses.
- Ovechkin AV, Tyagi N, Rodriguez WE, Hayden MR, Moshal KS, Tyagi SC. Role of MMP-9 in endothelial apoptosis in chronic heart failure in mice. J Appl Physiol, 99(6):2398-405, 2005.
- Moshal KS, Sen U, Tyagi N, Henderson B, Steed M, Ovechkin AV, Tyagi SC. Regulation of Hcy-induced MMP-9 by extracellular regulated protein kinase-1/2 (ERK-1/2) pathway, Am J Physiol Cell Physiol, 290(3):C883-91, 2006.
- Lominadze D, Roberts AM, Tyagi N, Moshal KS, Tyagi SC. Homocysteine causes cerebrovascular leakage in mice. Am J Physiol Heart & Circulatory Physiol, H1206-13, 2006.
- Reddy HK, Koshy SKG, Wasson S, Quan EE, Pagni S, Roberts AM, Joshua IG, Tyagi SC. Adaptive-outward and maladaptive-inward arterial remodeling measured by intra coronary ultrasound in homocysteinemia and diabetes, J Cardiovasc Pharmacol & Therapeutics, 11:65-76, 2006.
- Shastry S. Tyagi N, Moshal KS,Tyagi SC. GABA receptors ameliorate Hcy-mediated ß1 shedding and constrictive collagen remodeling by microvessel endothelial cells. Cell Biochem Biophys, 45(2):157-66, 2006.
- Rodriguez WE, Joshua IG, Falcone JC, Tyagi SC. Pioglitazone Prevents Cardiac Remodeling in High-Fat High-Calorie Induced Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 291(1):H81-7, 2006; editorial on pages H26-8, 2006.
- Tyagi N, Ovechkin AV, Lominadze D, Moshal KS, Tyagi SC. Mitochondrial mechanism of microvascular endothelial cells apoptosis in hyperhomocysteinemia. J Cell Biochem. 98:1150-1162, 2006.
- Rodriguez WE, Tyagi N, Joshua IG, Passmore JC, Fleming JT, Falcone JC, Tyagi SC. Piogiltazone Mitigates Renal Glomerular Vascular Changes in High-Fat High-Calorie Induced Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 291(3):F694-701, 2006.
- Sen U, Moshal KS, Tyagi N, Kartha GK, Tyagi SC. Hcy induces endothelial myofibroblasts differentiation in mouse aortic endothelial cells, J Cell Physiol, 209(3):767-74, 2006.
- Ovechkin AV, Tyagi N, Steed M, Moshal K, Lominadze D, Tyagi SC. 3-deazaadenosine mitigates arterial remodeling and hypertension in hyperhomocysteinenimic mice, Am J Physiol Lung & Mol Physiol, 291:L905-911, 2006.
- Moshal KS, Tyagi N, Sen U, Zhang H, Henderson B, Singh M, Tyagi SC. Activation and mitochondrial translocation of calpain-1 regulates MMP-9 in hyperhomocysteinemia, Am J Physiol Heart & Circ, 291(6):H2825-35, 2006.
- Tyagi N, Tyagi SC, Moshal KS, Lominadze D, Sen U, Ovechkin AV. Ciglitazone Ameliorates Hcy-Mediated Mitochondrial Translocation and MMP-9 Activation in Endothelial Cells by Inducing PPARg activity, Cell Mol Biol, 52(5):21-27, 2006.
- Jiang Y, Reynolds C, Xiao C, Feng W,, Zhou Z, Rodriguez W, Tyagi SC, Eaton JW, Saari JT, Kang YJ. Dietary copper supplementation reverses hypertrophic cardiomyopathy induced by chronic pressure overload in mice, J Exp Med, 19;204(3):657-66, 2007.