Srikanth Givvimani, Ph.D.
Srikanth Givvimani, M.B.B.S., Ph.D.
Srikanth Givvimani, M.B.B.S., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor (Term)
M.B.B.S, 2001, Sri Venkateswara Medical College, N.T.R University of Health Sciences
Ph.D., 2010, Physiology & Biophysics, University of Louisville
Key areas of my Research: Cardiovascular remodeling, Heart failure, Diabetes, Angiogenesis, Mitophagy, Micro RNA and Stem cells.
result of most of the cardiovascular disease conditions is compromised blood
supply to the myocardium. Angiogenesis being key modulating factor in cardiac
pathology, I look at angiogenic factors and anti-angiogenic factors that are
involved during cardiac disease state. My research area of interest is looking
at the various key factors that are involved in cardiovascular remodeling
during various cardiovascular disease states like pressure overload condition
(Aortic banding), coronary artery disease (Myocardial infarction). Recently, I
am also looking at micro RNAs that are involved in cardiovascular pathology during
List of selected peer reviewed publications:
- Mishra PK, Givvimani S, Chavali V and Tyagi SC. Cardiac Matrix: A clue for future therapy, BBA-Molecular Basis of Disease, 2013, September, PMID: 24055000
- Pushpakumar S, Kundu S, Pryor T, Givvimani S, Lederer E, Tyagi SC, Sen U. Angiotensin-II Induced Hypertension and Renovascular Remodeling in TIMP2 Knockout Mice, Journal of Hypertension, 2013, September, PMID: 24077247.
- Givvimani S, Kundu S, Narayanan N, Armaghan F, Qipshidze N, Pushpakumar S, Vacek TP, Tyagi SC. TIMP-2 mutant decreases MMP-2 activity and augments pressure overload induced LV dysfunction and heart failure. Archives of Physiology and Biochemistry, 2013, Feb, PMID: 2339853.
- Givvimani S, Narayanan N, Armaghan F, Pushpakumar S, Tyagi SC. Attenuation of conducted vasodilation in skeletal muscle arterioles during hyperhomocysteinemia. Pharmacology, 2013, June, PMID: 23736684.
- Givvimani S, Munjal C, Narayanan N, Aqil F, Tyagi G, Metreveli N, Tyagi SC. Hyperhomocysteinemia decreases intestinal motility leading to constipation. AJP-GI and Liver physiology. 2012 May; 303(3): G281-90. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 22595990.
- Sen U, Sathnur PB, Kundu S, Givvimani S, Coley DM, Mishra PK, Qipshidze N, Tyagi N, Metreveli N, Tyagi SC. Increased endogenous H2S generation by CBS, CSE, and 3MST gene therapy improves ex vivo renovascular relaxation in hyperhomocysteinemia. AJP-Cell Physiology. 2012 Apr; 303(1): C41-51. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 22517358.
- Givvimani S, Munjal C, Tyagi N, Sen U, Metreveli N and Tyagi SC. Mitochondrial division/mitophagy inhibitor (Mdivi) ameliorates pressure overload induced heart failure. Plos One Journal. 2012 Mar; 7(3): e32388. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 22479323.
- Muradashvili N, Qipshidze N, Munjal C, Givvimani S, Benton RL, Roberts AM, Tyagi SC, Lominadze D. Fibrinogen-induced increased pial venular permeability in mice. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism. 2011 Oct; 32(1): 150-63. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 21989482.
- Dahiya S, Givvimani S, Bhatnagar S, Qipshidze N, Tyagi SC and Kumar A. Osteopontin-stimulated expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 causes cardiomyopathy in the mdx model of Duchenne muscular dystrophy. The Journal of Immunology. 2011 Aug; 187(5): 2723-31. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 21810612.
- Givvimani S, Munjal C, Gargoum R, Sen U, Tyagi N, Vacek JC, Tyagi SC. Hydrogen sulfide mitigates transition from compensatory hypertrophy to heart failure. Journal of Applied Physiology. 2011 Jan; 110(4): 1093-100. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 21233344
- Sen U, Givvimani S, Abe OA, Lederer ED, Tyagi SC. Cystathionine B-synthase and cystathionine G-lyase double gene transfer ameliorate homocysteine-mediated mesangial inflammation through hydrogen sulfide generation.. AJP-Cell Physiology. 2010 Oct; 300(1): C155-63. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 20943958.
- Givvimani S, Sen U, Tyagi N, Munjal C, Tyagi SC. X-ray imaging of differential vascular density in MMP-9-/-, PAR-1-/+, hyperhomocysteinemic (CBS-/+) and diabetic (Ins2-/+) mice. Archives of Physiology and Biochemistry. 2010 Sep; 117(1): 1-7. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 20839901.
- Qipshidze N, Tyagi N, Sen U, Givvimani S, Metreveli N, Lominadze D, Tyagi SC. Folic acid mitigated cardiac dysfunction by normalizing the levels of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase and homocysteine-metabolizing enzymes postmyocardial infarction in mice. AJP Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 2010 Aug; 299(5): H1484-93. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 20802128.
- Sen U, Basu P, Abe OA, Givvimani S, Tyagi N, Metreveli N, Shah KS, Passmore JC, Tyagi SC. Hydrogen sulfide ameliorates hyperhomocysteinemia-associated chronic renal failure. AJP Renal Physiology. 2009 May; 297(2): F410-419. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 19474193.