John C. Passmore, Ph.D.
JOHN C. PASSMORE, Ph.D.
University of North Dakota, 1970
Research interest centers around the control of blood flow in renal vascular beds. The most current area of investigation concerns the possible role of G protein signal transduction in the reduced renal vascular responses to adrenergic agonists in the elderly. It is clear that changes in renal blood flow are associated with aging. Long-term research areas include humoral factors that alter renal blood flow and its distribution during the development of shock and the renal mechanisms involved in electrolyte excretion during the development of salt-sensitive hypertension. Investigative techniques for intrarenal hemodynamics include the electromagnetic flow probe, the freeze-dissection method with inert gas washout and measurements of isolated microvascular constriction via collaboration with Dr. Falcone. Biochemical techniques include Western Blotting and GTP binding assays.
Peer Reviewed Publications
40. Parekh, V.V., Falcone, J.C., Wills-Frank, L.A., Joshua, I.G., Dholakia, J.N. and Passmore, J.C. Protein kinase B, P34cdc2 kinase, and p21 ras GTP-binding in the kidneys of aging rats. Exp. Biol. Med. 229:850-856, 2004.
41. Passmore, J.C., Rowell, P.P., Joshua I.G., Porter, J.P., Patel, D.H., Falcone, J.C. Alpha 1 Adrenergic Receptor Control of Renal Blood Vessels During Aging. Canadian J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 83:335-42, 2005.
42. Falcone, J.C., Joshua, I.G. and Passmore, J.C. Age Related Down- Regulation of Sympathetic Adrenergic Constriction of Renal Blood Vessels is Gender and Receptor Specific. AGE: J. Am. Aging Assoc. Published online December 2005; AGE 27: (June issue #2) 107- 116, 2005.
43. Rodriguez, W.E., Tyagi, N, Joshua, I.G., Passmore, J.C., Fleming, J.T., Falcone, J.C. Tyagi S.C. Pioglitazone mitigates renal glomerular vascular changes in high-fat, high-calorie-induce type 2 diabetes mellitus. Submitted to Am. J. Physiol.: Renal. Am. J. Physiol. / Renal Physiol. 291:694-701, 2006.
Invited, Peer Reviewed Reviews
43. Tyagi, S.C., Rodriquez W., Patel, A.M., Roberts, A.M., Falcone, J.C., Passmore, J.C., Fleming, J.T., Joshua, I.G. Hyperhomocysteinemic Diabetic Cardiomyopathy: Oxidative Stress, Remodeling, and Endothelial-Myocyte Uncoupling. J. Cardiovasc. Pharmacol. Therap. 10:1-10, 2005.
44. Passmore, JC, Joshua, I.G., Rowell, P.P., Tyagi, S.C., Falcone, J.C. Reduced alpha adrenergic mediated contraction or renal preglomerular vessels as a function of gender and aging (Prospect Article). J. Cell. Biochem.; selected as an “early view article” to be pre-published on-line in advance of print (Sept 7, 2005).Then printed, J Cell Biochem, 96(4):672-681, 2005.