Andrew M. Roberts, Ph.D.
ANDREW M. ROBERTS, Ph.D.
New York Medical College, 1980
Cardiopulmonary Physiology My general area of research is neural control mechanisms involved in the regulation of the cardiovascular and pulmonary systems. Studies include investigation of afferent properties and reflex roles of sensory nerves in the heart and lungs and involve examination of cardiovascular and respiratory responses. Research activities include studies of the neural control of the microcirculation with emphasis on responses caused by interaction of local factors with neural mechanisms. Other studies involve investigation of endothelial mechanisms of pulmonary microvascular control and changes that occur during pathophysiological circumstances such as acute respiratory distress syndrome, occlusion-reperfusion injury and pulmonary hypertension.
- Robinson, T.W. and A.M. Roberts. Effects of exogenous surfactant on gas exchange and compliance in rabbits after meconium aspiration. Pediatric Pulmonology 33:117-123, 2002.
- Kang, Y.J., Y. Li, Z. Zhou, A.M. Roberts, L. Cai, S.R. Meyers, L. Wang, and D.A. Schuschke. Elevation of serum endothelins and cardiotoxicity induced by particulate matter (PM2.5) in rats with acute myocardial infarction. Cardiovascular Toxicology 2(4):253-261, 2002.
- Brewer, B.G., A.M. Roberts, and P.P. Rowell. Short-term distribution of nicotine in the rat lung. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 75: 193-198, 2004.
- Roberts, A.M., A.V. Ovechkin, J.G. Mowbray, T.W. Robinson, and D. Lominadze. Effects of pulmonary ischemia-reperfusion on platelet adhesion in subpleural arterioles in rabbits. Microvascular Research 67: 29-37, 2004.
- Ovechkin, A.V., D. Lominadze, K. J. Sedoris, E. Gozal, T.W. Robinson, and A.M. Roberts. Inhibition of inducible nitric oxide synthase attenuates platelet adhesion in subpleural arterioles during lung reperfusion in rabbits. Journal of Applied Physiology 99: 2423-2432, 2005.
- Lominadze, D, A.M. Roberts, N. Tyagi, K.S. Moshal, and S.C. Tyagi. Homocysteine causes cerebrovascular leakage in mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 290: H206-H1213, 2006.
- Reddy, HK, S.K.G. Koshy, S. Wasson, E.E. Quan, S. Pagni, A.M. Roberts, I.G. Joshua and S.C. Tyagi. Adaptive-outward and maladaptive-inward arterial remodeling measured by intra coronary ultrasound in hyperhomocysteinemia and diabetes. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol and Therapeutics, 11: 65-76, 2006.
- Soukhova-O'Hare, G.K., Z.J. Cheng, A.M. Roberts, and D. Gozal. Postnatal intermittent hypoxia alters baroreflex function in adult rats. Am. J. Physiol: Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 290: H1157-H1164, 2006.
- Soukhova-O'Hare, G.K., A.M. Roberts, and D. Gozal. Impaired control of renal sympathetic nerve activity following neonatal intermittent hypoxia in rats. Neuroscience Letters . 399(3): 181-185, 2006.
- Sedoris, K.C., A.V. Ovechkin, E. Gozal, and A.M. Roberts. Interplay of nitric oxide synthases alters vascular resistance in rabbit lung during reperfusion. (Submitted)
- Tyagi, N., A.M. Roberts, W.L. Dean, S.C. Tyagi, and D. Lominadze. Fibrinogen-induced endothelial cell permeability in vitro. Molecular and cellular Biochemistry (In Press) 2007.
BOOK CHAPTERS and REVIEWS:
- Roberts, A.M. and D.W. Slaaf. Lung Microcirculation. In Microcirculation in Clinical Medicine, ed. J.H. Barker, G.L. Anderson, and M.D. Menger. CRC Press, Inc., Boca Raton, 1995. Chapter 20, 263-275.
- Tyagi SC, Rodriguez W, Patel AM, Roberts AM, Falcone JC, Passmore JC, Fleming JT, Joshua IG. Hyperhomocysteinemic Diabetic Cardiomyopathy: Oxidative stress, Remodeling, and Endothelial-Myocyte Uncoupling. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Therapeutics, 10(1):1-10, 2005.
- Tyagi, S.C., D. Lominadze, and A.M. Roberts. Homocysteine in microvascular endothelial cell barrier permeability. Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics 43(1):37-44, 2005.
- Tyagi N, Moshal KS, Ovechkin AV, Rodriguez W, Steed M, Henderson B, Roberts AM, Joshua IG and Tyagi SC. Mitochondrial mechanism of oxidative stress and systemic hypertension in hyperhomocysteinemia. J Cell Biochem 96(4): 665-671, 2005.
- Ovechkin, A.V., D. Lominadze, K.C. Sedoris, T.W. Robinson, S.C. Tyagi, and A.M. Roberts. Lung ischemia-reperfusion injury: implications of oxidative stress and platelet-arteriolar wall interactions. Arc Physiol Biochem. 113(1): 1-12, 2007.
- Rosenberger, D.S., K.S. Moshal, G.K. Kartha, N. Tyagi, U.Sen, D. Lominadze, C. Maldinado, A.M. Roberts, and S.C. Tyagi. Arrhythmia and neuronal/endothelial myocyte uncoupling in hyperhomocysteinemia. Arch Physiol and Biochem. 112(4):219-227, 2006