William H. Anderson
William H. Anderson, M.D.
- Professor of Medicine
- Acting Chairman 1970-1971
William H. Anderson graduated fifth in his medical school class at the University of Chicago in 1949.
He took his postgraduate training at USPHS Hospital, Staten Island, serving as intern, research fellow at the National Heart Institute and resident of internal medicine.
He was staff physician at USPHS TB Hospital for a year in 1954-1955 and the associate chief of medicine at Harlan Memorial Hospital and director of the cardio-pulmonary laboratory until 1963.
At that time, he began at the University of Louisville as associate professor of medicine and associate in physiology.
He became professor of medicine and chief of the section of respiratory and environmental medicine in 1964.
For the year 1970-1971, he reluctantly became acting chairman of the Department of Medicine.
He is credited with improving department morale dramatically and increasing the department staff at Louisville General Hospital from nine to 29.
From 1972-1984 he was associate dean of the School of Medicine and chief of staff at University Hospital.
He was a nationally recognized expert on Occupational Pulmonary disease.
- Written by Daryll Anderson