How to Apply
Currently, the School of Medicine offers more than 50 residency and fellowship programs that meet or exceed the requirements of the ACGME and its inidividual RRCs.
Every Clinical Department offers a residency program.
In addition, the University of Louisville offers programs in:
Applicants with one of the following qualifications are eligible for appointment to accredited residency programs at the University of Louisville School of Medicine:
- Graduates of LCME accredited medical schools in the United States or Canada
- Graduates of American Osteopathic Association (AOA) accredited medical schools in the United States and Canada. Applicants must provide a final transcript indicating degree awarded upon acceptance into a residency program.
- Graduates of medical schools outside the United States and Canada who have current and valid certificates from the Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Applicants must provide confirmation of status from ECFMG upon acceptance into a residency program.
- For the oral-maxillofacial surgery and general practice dentistry (GPR) programs, graduates must have a degree from an accredited dental school.
Programs select from among eligible applicants on the basis of their preparedness and ability to benefit from the program to which they are appointed. Aptitude, academic credentials, personal characteristics and ability to communicate are considered. Personal interviews prior to selection are encouraged, and are required by most programs.
To request an application, call, write or email the program director of your choice.
First year appointments are made through the National Resident Matching Program. All appointments are for one year with renewal by mutual agreement of the parties.
Please note: Appointments at the PG-2 level or above are contingent upon possession of medical licensure in the Commonwealth of Kentucky no later than the start date of the residency. Questions about medical licensure can be directed to Kathy Sandman.
Couples Match: The University of Louisville welcomes applicants who plan to participate in NRMP as a couple. Be sure to indicate on your application that you will be participating in the couples match and give the name of your partner and the program that he or she is applying to.
The following items are required to complete an application for residency training at the University of Louisville. Individual programs may have additional requirements; be sure to ask at the time you request your application.
* Completed application form with recent photo: Application for Residency Training
* Official medical school transcript
* Three (3) letters of recommendation
* Copies of all U.S. medical licenses
* Current ECFMG certificate (international graduates)
* Copy of current visa or explanation of visa type planned (international graduates)
The University of Louisville is an equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate against persons because of race, age, religion, sex, handicap, color, or national origin.