John I. Stagner, Ph.D.
- Associate Clinical Professor
Dr. Stagner joined the University of Louisville in 1978 as an adjunct member of the Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism. He has been an Associate Professor in Clinical Medicine in the Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism since 1998. He is the Program Manager for the resident physician continuing medical education program at the Louisville VA Medical Center. He also serves as the Chief of the Research Core Laboratory and the human studies compliance officer at the Louisville VA Medical Center.
- Ph.D Physiology, Iowa State University of Science and Technology
- M.A. Business Management, Webster University
- B.A. Zoology, University of Kansas
- Research methods
- Laboratory techniques
- Islet physiology
- Islet transplantation including alternate sites and the induction of revascularization and oxygenation
- Intra-islet hormone interactions and regulation
- Reviewer for Diabetes, Diabetologia, Endocrinology, The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, The Journal of Clinical Investigation, Metabolism, American Journal of Physiology.
- Co-chair National VA Resident and Trainee Education Committee. Merit review board member. Louisville VA Medical Center: Research and Development Committee member, Research Biosafety Committee member, Continuing Medical Education Committee member, Radiation Safety Committee member and alternate safety officer, member of the VA-Univ of Louisville Academic Partnership Council.
- VA VISN 9 network learning council member and VISN 9 Leadership Institute faculty and curriculum committee member.
Dr. Stagner is the author of 63 research publications and 6 book chapters. Noteworthy publications are:
J. I. Stagner, R. S. Seelan, and R. N. Parthasarathy. Maintenance of aerobic metabolism increases immunoisolated islet survival. Islets 3 (3):89-92, 2011.
Stagner JI, Rilo HL, and White K. 2007. The Pancreas as an Islet Transplant Site. Confirmation in a Syngeneic Rodent and Canine Autotransplant Model. Journal of the Pancreas. I8:7001-7009.
Stagner JI, Rilo HL, and Wyler K. 2006. Remission of Digestive Insufficiency by Islet Transplantation to the Pancreas. Digestive Diseases and Science. 51:1777-1779.
Stagner JI, Wyler K, Parthasarathy R and Parthasarathy L. 2005. Protection from Ischemic Cell Death by the Induction of Cytoglobin. Transplant. Proc. 37:3452-3453.
Stagner J, Mokshagundam S, Wyler K, Samols E, Rilo H, Stagner M, Parthasarathy L, and Parthasarathy R. 2004. Beta Cell Sparing in Transplanted Islets by Vascular Endotehlial Growth Factor. Transplant. Proc. 36:1178-1180.
Kvist Reimer M, Mokshagundam SP, Wyler K, Sundler F, Ahren B, Stagner J. 2003 Beneficial Effect of Local Growth Factor Treatment on Autonomic Reinnervation of Transplanted Pancreatic Islets in Rats. Pancreas. 26:392-397.
Stagner JI, Mokshagundam SP and Samols E: 1998. Induction of Mild Hypoglycemia by Islet Transplantation to the Pancreas. Transplantation Proc. 30:635-636.
Brunicardi FC, Stagner JI, Bonner-Weir S, et al. 1996. Microcirculation of the Islets of Langerhans. Diabetes. 45:385-392.
Stagner JI and Samols E: 1992. The Vascular Order Of Islet Cellular Perfusion In The Human Pancreas. Diabetes 41:93-97.
Stagner JI and Samols E: 1985. Perturbation Of Insulin Oscillations By Nerve Blockade In The In Vitro Canine Pancreas. Am. J. Physiol. 248:E526-531.