Stephen Wagner, M.D.,F.A.C.C.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Chief of Cardiology, Robley Rex Veterans Affairs Medical Center
Director, Nuclear Cardiology Training Program
Dr. Wagner's research interests center on preventive cardiology including lipoproteins and other markers for coronary artery disease risk, the relationship of total body iron stores and oxidized LDL, noninvasive diagnostic testing for coronary artery disease and preoperative assessment of cardiac patients undergoing vascular surgery. He has participated as the principal investigator for the University of Louisville in a large number of national cooperative studies including the landmark VA HDL Interventional Trial (HIT), Prevention of Events with Angiotensin Converting Enzyme inhibition (PEACE), the recent JUPITER Trial, and has served as a co-investigator in an American Heart Association sponsored trial (Oxidative Susceptibility of Apo-B Containing Lipoproteins as Markers for Coronary Artery Disease). He is a coinvestigator for the Louisville Healthy Heart Study: Exposure to Environmental Aldehydes and Cardiovascular Disease Risk.
- Bolli R, Chugh AR, D'Amario D, Loughran JH, Stoddard MF, Ikram S, Beache GM, Wagner SG, Leri A, Hosoda T, Sanada F, Elmore JB, Goichberg P, Cappetta D, Solankhi NK, Fahsah I, Rokosh DG, Slaughter MS, Kajstura J, Anversa P. Cardiac stem cells in patients with ischaemic cardiomyopathy (SCIPIO): initial results of a randomised phase 1 trial. Lancet. 2011 Nov 26;378(9806):1847-57. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61590-0. Epub 2011 Nov 14.
- Stoddard MF, Wagner SG, Ikram S, Longaker RA, Prince CR. Effects of nifedipine and nitroglycerin on left ventricular systolic dysfunction and impaired diastolic filling after exercise-induced ischemia in humans. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1996 Oct;28(4):915-23.
- Hobbs GA, Wagner SG, Levinson SS. Relationships between triglycerides, lipoproteins, glucose and coronary artery disease. Clin Chim Acta. 1995 Jun 30;238(1):59-70.
- Hasnie AM, Stoddard MF, Gleason CB, Wagner SG, Longaker RA, Pierangeli S, Harris EN. Diastolic dysfunction is a feature of the antiphospholipid syndrome. Am Heart J. 1995 May;129(5):1009-13.
- Stoddard MF, Prince CR, Tuman WL, Wagner SG. Angle of incidence does not affect accuracy of mitral stenosis area calculation by pressure half-time: application to Doppler transesophageal echocardiography. Am Heart J. 1994 Jun;127(6):1562-72.
- Levinson SS, Wagner SG. The relative usefulness of automated apolipoprotein A-I and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol assays as markers for coronary artery disease. Am J Clin Pathol. 1994 Jan;101(1):104-8.
- Levinson SS, Wagner SG. Immunonephelometric/turbidimetric apolipoprotein B assays for the clinical laboratory. Clin Chim Acta. 1993 Dec 31;223(1-2):31-42.
- Gleason CB, Stoddard MF, Wagner SG, Longaker RA, Pierangeli S, Harris EN. A comparison of cardiac valvular involvement in the primary antiphospholipid syndrome versus anticardiolipin-negative systemic lupus erythematosus. Am Heart J. 1993 Apr;125(4):1123-9.
- Levinson SS, Wagner SG. Measurement of apolipoprotein B-containing lipoproteins for routine clinical laboratory use in cardiovascular disease. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1992 Dec;116(12):1350-4.