Shahid Pervez Baba, PhD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Tel.: (502) 852-5834
E-mail: Email Dr. Baba
Dr. Baba's main research is focused in examining the metabolic role of aldo-keto reductases (AKRs), in metabolizing different advanced glycation end products (AGEs) precursors and advanced lipoxidation products (ALEs). Oxidation of proteins and generation of AGEs is a normal process as tissues age however the generation of AGEs and ALEs are known to be involved in the etiology of hypertrophy, heart failure and secondary diabetic complications. He is also investigating the mechanisms of endogenously generated quenchers in quenching AGEs and ALEs. Recently, Dr. Baba was awarded a beginners grant from the American Heart Association to study the role of lipid peroxides in left ventricular remodeling.
Dr. Baba has a Ph.D. in biochemistry from Aligarh Muslim University, India. In September 2008, Dr. Baba completed a postdoctoral fellowhip sponsored by the Philip Morris External Research Program.
- Baba SP, Wetzelberger K, Hoetker JD, Bhatnagar A. Posttranslational glutathiolation of aldose reductase (AKR1B1): a possible mechanism of protein recovery from S-nitrosylation. Chem Biol Interact. 2009 Mar 16;178(1-3):250-8. Epub 2008 Nov 18.
- Wheat LA, Haberzettl P, Hellmann J, Baba SP, Bertke M, Lee J, McCracken J, O'Toole TE, Bhatnagar A, Conklin DJ. Acrolein inhalation prevents vascular endothelial growth factor-induced mobilization of Flk-1+/Sca-1+ cells in mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2011 Jul;31(7):1598-606. Epub 2011 Apr 28.
- Baba SP, Hellmann J, Srivastava S, Bhatnagar A. Aldose reductase (AKR1B3) regulates the accumulation of advanced glycosylation end products (AGEs) and the expression of AGE receptor (RAGE).Chem Biol Interact. 2011 May 30;191(1-3):357-63.
- Wetzelberger K, Baba SP, Thirunavukkarasu M, Ho YS, Maulik N, Barski OA, Conklin DJ, Bhatnagar A. Postischemic deactivation of cardiac aldose reductase: role of glutathione S-transferase P and glutaredoxin in regeneration of reduced thiols from sulfenic acids J Biol Chem. 2010 Aug 20;285(34):26135-48.
- Baba SP, Barski OA, Ahmed Y, O'Toole TE, Conklin DJ, Bhatnagar A, Srivastava S. (2009) Reductive metabolism of AGE precursors: a metabolic route for preventing AGE accumulation in cardiovascular tissue Diabetes. 2009 Nov;58(11):2486-97.