Stipend and Housing Policy
by efdegr01 — last modified Jul 24, 2012 10:40 AM
- Students and residents are required to have personal health insurance and usually need to have their own vehicle for transportation.
- Students must wear their University issued IDs while on rotation.
- Students/residents are not permitted to take pets with them on rotation when living in AHEC arranged housing.
- Students/residents must have the written approval from the Course Director/Departmental Coordinator and the regional AHEC Office before changing a rotation site, date, or community faculty.
- If approved changes are made less than four weeks prior to the start of the rotation, there is no guarantee as to the availability of housing and there will be a delay in the student or resident receiving housing and food dislocation stipend from the AHEC Office.
- A student or resident must have a federal W-9 form on file with the University in order to receive a stipend for housing, food, or travel from the AHEC office. These forms are available from the AHEC Office and on the AHEC web site.
EFFECTIVE FISCAL YEAR 2012-2013 (July 2012)
Stipends for Food- Housing-Travel for AHEC Rotations:
- If a student or resident commutes daily back and forth to their AHEC rotation site, they are NOT going to receive any stipend from the AHEC office for food/housing or travel. The purpose of an AHEC rotation is to experience what it is like to practice in a rural and underserved part of Kentucky. In certain circumstances, students or residents with hardship cases are allowed to practice in a commutable location to Louisville and thus will not receive a stipend.
- Student or residents that travel out into the state to complete their rotations, will be given a food/housing stipend. Student stipends are given to the Financial Aid office and they distribute the stipend via the Higher-One Credit card system. The student is responsible for withdrawing the funds necessary from their Higher-One account and paying their housing host for their lodging while on a rotation. Residents are reimbursed for their stipend AFTER they have compeleted their AHEC rotation via a University Travel Voucher.
- AHEC rotations where a student or resident is housed with an approved housing host set up by the regional AHEC offices are paid a flat rate stipend of $420.00 for a 4 week rotation period. Out of this $420.00, the housing host must be paid. The remainder of the money is to be used to offset any expenses for food. Dental students who do a 5 week rotation will be given a flat rate of $520.00 for their rotations.
- If a student/resident elects to live or stay with "Family or Friends" while out on rotation, they will NOT receive any stipend for food or housing. In the past we paid students a food stipend, but effective FY 2012-13 this will change.
- Not All AHEC rotations qualify for travel reimbursement. The amount of money you will receive in a travel reimbursement is dependant on the distance you travel from the Medical School to your rotation site. Beginning in Fiscal Year 2012-13, the travel reimbursement is as follows:
- Distance from UofL Medical/Dental School to Rotation Site (one-way only) 0-49 Miles = $0.00 Travel Reimbursement
- Distance from UofL Medical/Dental School to Rotation Site (one-way only) 50-74 Miles = $50.00 Travel Reimbursement
- Distance from UofL Medical/Dental School to Rotation Site (one-way only) 75-99 Miles = $75.00 Travel Reimbursement
- Distance from UofL Medical/Dental School to Rotation Site (one-way only) Over 100 Miles = $100.00 Travel Reimbursement
- At the completion of your rotation, you will be notified by e-mail to come into the Central AHEC office to sign your Travel Expense Voucher. This voucher is then mailed to the Controller's office and a check will be issued to the student/resident's home address. Travel vouchers need to be signed by the student/resident in a timely manner.
- Students or residents completing rotations at AHEC sites scheduled for less than three weeks may not be eligible for housing, food and travel allowance from the AHEC office regardless of whether the above guidelines are met.