- Vacation: 4 paid weeks of vacation, 5 days off on either Christmas or New Year's, and 5 personal days each year
- Bookstore: A 10% discount is available on books and supplies with a valid University of Louisville Identification Card.
- Licensure/Certification: Kentucky state law requires that all PGY-2 and above trainees be licensed to practice medicine in the state of Kentucky. The initial licensure fee is paid by the Graduate Medical Education Office. All residents will receive free certification in PALS, NRP (neonatal resuscitation), STABLE, and ACLS.
- Parking Permits: Free parking on the Health Sciences Campus.
- Book Allowance: All first-year residents receive a $350 book allowance from Pediatrics and $150 from the Med/Peds program.
- Study Aids: PGY-1 residents receive personal access to Pediatrics Care Online, including pediatric boards review PREP questions, MedStudy for Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, as well as monthly Annals of Internal Medicine, Peds in Review, and Pediatrics journal subscriptions. PGY-3 residents receive internal medicine board review questions via MKSAP and Laughing Your Way to the Boards.
- Board Review: PGY-4 residents are provided an $800 stipend for a board review course to be attended following graduation.
- Membership: Membership in the American College of Physicians and the American Academy of Pediatrics as well as paid travel expenses if resident is selected to present at a national conference.
- Athletics: Residents receive free access to UofL fitness facilities and are eligible to purchase student athletic tickets, which are offered at reduced rates through the Athletics Department. The Fitness Center is conveniently located with in walking distance of the hospital. In addition, a swimming pool and recreational facilities on Belknap Campus are also available to residents, through the Intramural and Recreational Sports Office, the Student Activities Center and Crawford Gymnasium.
- Insurance Plans: UofL offers a complete package of insurance coverage for our residents and their families, including health, dental, vision, prescription, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Life, Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D), Supplemental Life, Short Term Disability and Long Term Care. Detailed plan information
- Worker's Compensation: All house staff are covered under the Kentucky Worker's Compensation statutes for injuries incurred while engaged in regularly assigned duties.
- Professional Liability Insurance: Malpractice insurance is provided by the University or by affiliated hospitals through contract agreement.
Student Health Service: The HSC Health Service Office provides minor urgent medical care and immunizations. Personal counseling is also available. The HSO also serves as an on-site treatment facility for worker's compensation-related injuries and exposures (including needle sticks) and as the repository of resident immunization records and exposure data.
Library Privileges: Through the Kornhauser Library's website (http://library.louisville.edu/kornhauser/), residents have access to thousands of electronic journals via Medline, UptoDate, and online e-journal collections. In addition, residents can search the library's catalog or view a collection of electronic textbooks and reference materials online.
Medical and Personal Leave: Paid medical leave up to 90 days is available in cases of personal illness or pregnancy. Residents are covered under the Graduate Medical Student Leave Policy, which provides up to 12 weeks unpaid leave for personal or family illness.
Maternity/Paternity Leave: Leave of absence longer than 42 days is taken unpaid. Female residents may use a combination of vacation and personal leave, up to 42 calendar days, of paid postpartum leave. Male residents may use annual leave or unpaid leave under the Graduate Medical Student Leave Policy