Promotion and Tenure
Promotion and Tenure
Frequently Asked Questions About Promotion
Below are some questions that faculty frequently ask about promotion and tenure. Click on a question to get an answer. We have tried to be as factual and complete as possible. However, you should consult the Policy for Promotion, Appointment and Tenure and for Periodic Career Review in the University of Louisville School of Medicine for comprehensive, authoritative answers which can be found at http://louisville.edu/medicine/facultyaffairs/policies.
- How should I prepare for my promotion?
- When are tenurable (probationary) faculty evaluated for promotion and tenure?
- When are non-tenurable faculty (term) evaluated for promotion?
- How is the average work plan calculated?
- Can tenurable (probationary) faculty be promoted early?
- How many times can a tenurable (probationary) faculty request early tenure?
- What happens if I need to take a leave of absence during the probationary period?
- Who initiates the consideration for promotion and/or tenure?
- What are the criteria for promotion of tenurable (probationary) faculty?
- Should tenure be requested at the same time as promotion to Associate Professor?.
- How long do I have to wait to be promoted to Professor?
- What are the criteria for promotion of non-tenurable (Term) faculty?
- Can non-full-time faculty be promoted to the rank of Associate Professor or Professor?
- What happens if I have a joint appointment in another department or unit?
- What is the policy for extramural letters of evaluation?
- When will I know if my promotion and/or tenure request has been approved?
- When will my promotion be effective?
- What materials are required for a promotion and/or tenure request?
PAT Criteria Summary
Summary of Criteria for Promotion, Appointment, Tenure and Periodic Career Review (Effective January 1,2012)
Note: The requirements for part-time faculty in the School of Medicine shall be the same as those for full-time faculty. It is recognized that the responsibilities of the faculty in this category may differ from those with full-time appointments.
This document is intended as a summary only and is not to be used to replace the criteria in the Promotion, Appointment, and Tenure (PAT) document. Please consult the entire PAT document on the Faculty Affairs website: http://louisville.edu/medicine/facultyaffairs/policies.