Dale A. Schuschke, Ph.D.
Dale A. Schuschke, Ph.D.
Professor and Vice Chairman, Physiology and Biophysics
The primary focus of the lab is on the role of copper nutrition in microvascular control mechanisms. We use both in vivo and in vitro techniques to study inflammatory processes including macromolecular leakage, platelet thrombus formation, vasoreactivity and leukocyte-endothelial cell interactions. This work has received national recognition from the American Society of Nutritional Sciences in the form of its BioServe Award for Experimental Animal Nutrition.
- Schuschke, D.A., J.C. Falcone, J.T. Saari, J.T. Fleming, S.S. Percival, S.A. Young, J.M. Pass and F.N. Miller. Endothelial cell calcium mobilization to acetylcholine is attenuated in copper-deficient rats. Endothelium 7: 83-92, 2000.
- Schuschke, D.A. and J.T. Saari. Dietary copper deficiency impairs nitric oxide-mediated signal transduction. Research Signpost, Recent Research Developments in Nutrition 3: 65-70, 2000.
- Lominadze, D., I.G. Joshua and D.A. Schuschke. Blood flow shear rates in arterioles of spontaneously hypertensive rats at early and established stages of hypertension. Clin. Exp. Hypertension 23: 317-328, 2001.
- Lentsch, A. B., A. Kato, J.T. Saari and D.A. Schuschke. Augmented metalloproteinase activity and acute lung injury in copper deficient rats. Am. J. Physiol. 281: L387-L393, 2001.
- Schuschke, D.A., J.T. Saari and F.N. Miller. Leukocyte-endothelial adhesion is impaired in the cremaster muscle microcirculation of the copper-deficient rat. Immunol. Lett. 76: 139-144, 2001.
- Lominadze, D. J.T. Saari, S.S. Percival and D.A. Schuschke. Proinflammatory effects of copper deficiency on neutrophils and lung endothelial cells. Immunol. Cell Biol. 82:231-238, 2004.
- Falcone, J.C., J.T. Saari, Y.J. Kang and D.A. Schuschke. Vasoreactivity in an adult rat model of marginal copper deficiency. Nutr. Res. 25:177-186, 2005.
- Li, Y., L. Wang, D.A. Schuschke, Z. Zhou, J.T. Saari and Y.J. Kang. Cardiomyopathy induced by marginal dietary copper restriction in rats. J. Nutr. 135:2130-2136, 2005.
- Gordon, S.A., D. Lominadze, J.T. Saari, A.B. Lentsch and D.A. Schuschke. Impaired deformability of copper-deficient neutrophils. Exp. Biol. Med. 230:543-548, 2005.
- Kalea, A.Z., F.N. Lamari, A.D. Theocharis, P. Cordopatis, D.A. Schuschke, N.K. Karamanos and D.J. Klimis-Zacas. Wild blueberry (Vaccinium angustifolium) consumption affects the composition and structure of glycosaminoglycans in Sprague-Dawley rat aorta. J. Nutr. Biochem. 17:109-116, 2006.
- Saari, J.T., L.E. Wold, J. Duan, J. Ren, H.L. Carlson, A.M. Bode, A.B. Lentsch and D.A. Schuschke. Cardiac nitric oxide synthases are elevated in dietary copper deficiency. J. Nutr. Biochem. 18:443-448, 2007.
- Schuschke, D.A. The role of copper in nitric oxide mediated vasodilation. Cell Biol and Toxicol. 24:349-353, 2008.
- Falcone, J.C., D. Lominadze, W.T. Johnson and D.A. Schuschke. Endothelial cell-derived nitric oxide mobilization is attenuated in copper-deficient rats. Appl. Physiol. Nutr. Metab. 33:1073-1078, 2008.
- Kalea, A.Z., K. Clark, D.A. Schuschke and D.J. Klimis-Zacas. Endothelial-mediated vasoreactivity is affected by dietary consumption of wild blueberries in Sprague-Dawley rat. J. Med Food 12:21-28, 2009.
- Schuschke, D.A., A.S.O. Adeagbo, P.K. Patibandla, U. Egbuhuzo, R. Fernandez-Botran and W.T. Johnson. Cyclooxygenase-2 is upregulated in copper-deficient rats. Inflammation, 32:333-339, 2009.
- Kalea, A.Z., K. Clark, D.A. Schuschke, A. Kristo and D.J. Klimis-Zacas. Dietary enrichment with wild blueberries (Vaccinium augustifolium) affect the vascular reactivity of the young spontaneously hypertensive rat (SHR) aorta. J. Nutr. Biochem. 21:14-22, 2010.
- Kristo, A., A.Z. Kalea, D.A. Schuschke, and D.J. Klimis-Zacas. Wild blueberry enriched diet improves vascular tone in the adult Spontaneously Hypertensive Rat. J. Agr. Food Chem. 58:11600-11605, 2010.
- Steed, M.M., N. Tyagi, U. Sen, D.A. Schuschke, I.G Joshua, and S.C. Tyagi. Functional consequences of the collage/elastin switch in vascular remodeling in hyperhomocysteinemic wild type, eNOS-/- and iNOS -/- mice. Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 299: L301-311, 2010.
- Sakai, N., T. Shin, R. Schuster, J. Blanchard, W.T. Johnson, A.B. Lentsch, and D.A. Schuschke. Marginal copper deficiency increases liver neutrophil accumulation after ischemia/reperfusion in rats. Biol. Trace Elem. Res. 142:47-54, 2011.
- Song, M., D.A. Schuschke, Z. Zhou, T. Chen, WM Pierce, R. Wang, W.T. Johnson, and C.J. McClain. High fructose feeding induces copper deficiency in Sprague-Dawley rats: a novel mechanism for obesity related fatty liver. Hepatology Jul 19 2011 [Epub ahead of print]
- Anderson, G.L., J.C. Passmore, W.B. Wead, J.C. Falcone, R.W. Stremel and D.A. Schuschke. Using “Active learning” methods to teach physiology. Med. Sci. Ed. 21:1 8-20, 2011.