Gustavo Abadia-Perez, M.D.
Gustavo Abadia-Perez, M.D.
National University of Tucuman, 1989
I have an interest in ischemia reperfusion injury of skeletal muscle and composite tissue preservation. In collaboration with Dr. Ehringer, we have used a hind limb rat model to study the effects of direct ATP delivery to skeletal muscle during prolonged periods of warm ischemia. I also have an interest in microsurgery and the use of microsurgical techniques in rodent animal models. In July 2007, I became the new Director/Instructor of the Microsurgery Course for surgeons, technicians and students. The course is based on the original Acland method and teaches students basic microsurgical skills. The course is an intensive five-day training program in which students learn techniques using synthetic models as well as rodents. For more information see , Brochure to Louisville, MicroCourse Program, and http://www.microsurgerycourse.de.
- Gustavo A. Perez-Abadia, M.D., Vera C. van Aalst, M.D.; Martin M. Palacio, M.D., Paul M.N. Werker, M.D., Ph.D., Xiaoping Ren, M.D., Grant D. Petty, M.S., Steven J. Heilman, M.S., John Van Savage, M.D., Angel Garcia Fernandez, M.D., Moshe Kon M.D., Ph.D., John H. Barker, M.D., Ph.D.: The Gracilis muscle neo-sphincter for treating urinary incontinence. Microsurgery 21(6):271-280, 2001.
- J. Edelstein, J.W. Jones, X. Ren, T. Ustuner, M. Zdichavsky, G. Perez-Abadia, D.K. Granger, A.W. Jevans, C. Maldonado, W. Breidenbach, J.H. Barker, and S.A. Gruber: Donor/Recipient Skin and Whole-Blood Cyclosporin A levels in a Swine Composite Tissue Allograft Model: Correlation and Relationship to Rejection. Transplantation Proceedings 34(4):1315-1319, 2002.
- Zonnevijlle ED, Perez-Abadia G, Somia NN, Kon M, Barker JH, Koenig S, Ewert DL, Stremel RW: A technique for sequential segmental neuromuscular stimulation with closed loop feedback control. Journal of Investigative Surgery 15(2):91-99, 2002.
- Vijay Gorantla, Kaustubha Prabhune, Gustavo Perez-Abadia, Suzanne Ildstad, Claudio Maldonado, Haldun Orhun, Ramsey Majzoub, Cedric Francois, Thanos Kakoulidis, Pascal Brouha, Gary Anderson, Diane Pidwell, Warren Breidenbach, John Barker: Composite Tissue Allotransplantation in Chimeric Hosts. Part I. Prevention of Graft-versus-Host Disease. Transplantation 75(7):922-932, 2003.
- Perez-Abadia G, Laurentin-Perez L, Gorantla V, Francois C, Vossen M, Brouha PCR, Orhun HI, Anderson GL, Maldonado C, Pidwell DJ, Breidenbach WC, Barker, JH. Low dose immunosuppression in a rat hind limb transplantation model: Transplant International 16:835-842, 2003.
- Prabhune KA, Gorantla VS, Perez-Abadia G, Francois C, Vossen M, Laurentin-Perez LA, Breidenbach WC, Anderson GL, Pidwell DJ, Barker JH, Maldonado C: Composite tissue allotransplantation in chimeric hosts Part II. A clinically feasible protocol to induce Tolerance in a rat model. Transplantation 76(11):1548-1555, 2003.
- Banis, J. C., J. H. Barker, M. Cunningham, C. G. Francois, A. Furr, F. Grossi, M. Kon, C. Maldonado, S. Martinez, G. Perez-Abadia, M. Vossen, and O. P. Wiggins: Response to Selected Commentaries on the AJOB Target Article "On the Ethics of Facial Transplantation Research". The American Journal of Bioethics 4(3): W23-W31. 2004.
- Vossen, M., Edelstein J, Majzoub R, Zdichavsky M, Maldonado C, Perez-Abadia GA, Voor, M., Orbun, H., Tecimer, T., Francois, C., Kon, M., Barker J.: Bone quality and healing in a swine vascularized bone allotransplantation model using cyclosporine-base immunosuppression therapy. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 115(20):529-538, 2005.
- Pascal Brouha, MD, Deepak Naidu, MD, Michael Cunningham, PhD, Allen Furr, PhD, Ramsey K. Majzoub, MD, Federico V. Grossi, MD, Cedric G. Francois, MD, Claudio Maldonado, PhD, Joseph C. Banis, MD, Serge Martinez, MD, Gustavo Perez-Abadia, MD, Osborne Wiggins, PhD, Moshe Kon, MD, PhD, John H. Barker, MD,: Risk Acceptance in Composite Tissue Allotransplantation reconstructive procedures. Microsurgery 26(3):144-150, 2006.
- Bradford L. Cottrell, M.S., Gustavo Perez-Abadia, M.D. Stephen M. Onifer, Ph.D. David S. Magnuson, Ph.D., Darlene A. Burke, M.A., Federico V. Grossi, M.D. Cedric G. Francois, M.D., John H. Barker, M.D. PH.D., Claudio Maldonado, PH.D.: Neuroregeneration in composite tissue allografts: effect of low dose FK506 and mycophenolate mofetil immunotherapy. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 118(3):615-623, 2006.
- Brian Gander, Charles S. Brown, Dalibor Vasilic, Allen Furr, Joseph C. Banis Jr, Michael Cunningham, Osborne Wiggins, Claudio Maldonado, Iain Whitaker, Gustavo Perez-Abadia, Johannes M. Frank, John Barker: Composite tissue allotransplantation of the hand and face: a new frontier in transplant and reconstructive surgery. Transplant International 19:868-880, 2006.
- Christopher C. Reynolds, BS, Serge Martinez, MD, Allen Furr, PhD, Michael Cunningham, PhD, Jeffrey M. Bumpous, MD, Eric J. Lentesch, MD, Joseph C. Banis Jr, MD, Dalibor Vasilic, MD , Barckley Storey, BS, Osborne Wiggins, PhD, Claudio Maldonado, PhD, Gustavo Perez-Abadia, MD, John H. Barker, MD, PhD: Risk Acceptance in Laryngeal Transplantation. The Laryngoscope 116:1770-1775, 2006.
- Wayne K. Stadelmann, M.D., Ramsey K. Majzoub, M.D., Janou W.J.M. Bardoel, M.D., Gustavo A. Perez-Abadia, M.D., John H. Barker, M.D., Ph.D. and Claudio Maldonado, Ph.D.: Electrically stimulated rectus abdominis muscle flap to achieve enterostomal continence: development of a functional canine model. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 119(2):517-525, 2007.