Inflammation is an underlying component of many prominent diseases, including atherosclerosis and diabetes. The major thrust of our research is to understand the mechanisms by which acute inflammation resolves in order to understand how these pathways could become modulated with the progression of chronic inflammatory diseases. In particular, we are interested in the role of endogenous lipid mediators, such as the lipoxins and resolvins, in actively regulating the resolution of inflammation. Our long-term goal is to determine if pro-resolution lipid mediators could serve as biotemplates for the development of novel therapeutics for treating cardiovascular disease.
- Tang Y, Zhang MJ, Hellmann J, Kosuri M, Bhatnagar A, Spite M. Proresolution Therapy for the Treatment of Delayed Healing of Diabetic Wounds.Diabetes. 2012 Oct 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sansbury BE, Cummins TD, Tang Y, Hellmann J, Holden CR, Harbeson MA, Chen Y, Patel RP,Spite M, Bhatnagar A, Hil BG.Overexpression of endothelial nitric oxide synthase prevents diet-induced obesity and regulates adipocyte phenotype.Circ Res.2012 Oct 12;111(9):1176-89. doi: 10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.112.266395. Epub 2012 Aug 14.
- Zhang MJ, Spite M. Resolvins: anti-inflammatory and proresolving mediators derived from omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids.Annu Rev Nutr. 2012 Aug 21;32:203-27. Epub 2012 Mar 9.
- Hellmann J, Tang Y, Spite M. Proresolving lipid mediators and diabetic wound healing.Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2012 Apr;19(2):104-8.
- Spite M, Hellmann J, Tang Y, Mathis SP, Kosuri M, Bhatnagar A, Jala VR, Haribabu B. Deficiency of the leukotriene B4 receptor, BLT-1, protects against systemic insulin resistance in diet-induced obesity.J Immunol.2011 Aug 15;187(4):1942-9. Epub 2011 Jul 8.
- Spite M, Serhan CN. Lipid signatures of unstable atheromas: fossils or a step toward personalized lipidomics-metabolomics?Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2011 Jun;4(3):215-7.
- Norling LV, Spite M, Yang R, Flower RJ, Perretti M, Serhan CN. Cutting edge: Humanized nano-proresolving medicines mimic inflammation-resolution and enhance wound healing.J Immunol. 2011 May 15;186(10):5543-7. Epub 2011 Apr 1.
- Spite M, Serhan CN. Novel lipid mediators promote resolution of acute inflammation: impact of aspirin and statins.Circ Res.2010 Nov 12;107(10):1170-84.
- Ho KJ, Spite M, Owens CD, Lancero H, Kroemer AH, Pande R, Creager MA, Serhan CN, Conte MS. Aspirin-triggered lipoxin and resolvin E1 modulate vascular smooth muscle phenotype and correlate with peripheral atherosclerosis.Am J Pathol. 2010 Oct;177(4):2116-23. Epub 2010 Aug 13.
- Spite M, Norling LV, Summers L, Yang R, Cooper D, Petasis NA, Flower RJ, Perretti M, Serhan CN. Resolvin D2 is a potent regulator of leukocytes and controls microbial sepsis.Nature. 2009 Oct 29;461(7268):1287-91.