Allen Cheng, M.D.
Allen Cheng, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Department Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery
- Mechanical Circulatory Support (Ventricular Assist Device)
- Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Minimal Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Mitral Valve Repair
- Aortic Surgery
- Valve Surgery
- Medical degree – Texas A&M College of Medicine, College Station, TX
- General surgery residency – University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), Los Angeles, CA.
- Cardiovascular Surgery Postdoctoral Fellowship – Stanford University, Stanford, CA.
- Cardiothoracic surgery fellowship
- Massachusetts General Hospital (Harvard Medical School),
- Boston Children’s Hospital (Harvard Medical School),
- University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY. – Mechanical Circulatory Support, Heart Transplantation and Minimal Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- American Board of Surgery
- Thoratec Fellows Advisory Council
- Thoracic Surgery Foundation for Research and Education (TSFRE)
- C. Walton Lillehei Research Award
- Society of Thoracic Surgery
- Reviewer for multiple national journals
- Clinical Investigator at Cardiovascular Innovation Institute
- Donneyong M, Cheng A, Trivedi JR, Schumer E, McCants KC, Birks EJ, Slaughter MS. The Association of Pre-Transplant HeartMate II Left Ventricular Assist Device Placement and Heart Transplantation Mortality. ASAIO J. 2014 Mar 7. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24614355
- Cheng A, Slaughter MS. How I Choose Conduits and Configure Grafts for my Patients-Rationales and Practices. Ann Cardiothoracic Surg. 2013 Jul; 2(4):527-32. Doi: 10.3978/j.issn.2225-319X.2013.07.17. PMID:23977632
- VADoscopy: A Novel Intra-operative Technique to Evaluate HeartMate II Left Ventricular Assist Device Inflow Obstruction and Thrombosis. Cheng A, Swartz MF, Massey HT. Abstract presented at International Society for Rotary Blood Pump Annual Meeting Louisville, KY. 2011. ASAIO J 2013 Oct 1. [Epud ahead of print]. PMID 24088904.
- An Unusual Case of Sinus of Valsalva Aneurysm involving the Right Coronary Cusp Creating Right Ventricular Outflow Tract Obstruction. Cheng A, Thomas J, Vermilion RP, Alfieris GM, Hicks GL. Journal of Cardiac Surgery. Oct 22, 2013. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID:24147626.
- Use of Impella® as an Adjunct for Left Ventricular Unloading during ECMO support and as a Bridge to HeartMate® II Left Ventricular Assist Device in Acute Cardiogenic Shock.Cheng A, Swartz MF, Schwarz KQ, Massey HT. Presented at ASAIO American Society for Artificial Internal Organ. 58th Annual Conference. San Francisco, CA. 2012. ASAIO J. 2013. Sept-Oct;59(5):533-6. PMID: 23995997