Pre-medical students apply to medical school the year prior to actually matriculating. The Post-bac Pre-med Program generally takes 1.5 to 2 years to complete. The assured admission policy allows the students in our program to apply to the University of Louisville School of Medicine during their first year of the program and potentially be accepted by the conclusion of their second year, eliminating an additional year of waiting.
Assured admission is optional. Our students are allowed to apply to other medical schools of interest and still be considered for assured admission to U of L or may exclusively apply for assured admission to U of L. Those who apply exclusively to the U of L School of Medicine will have their AMCAS fee waived.
For assured admission under this program, students must complete their post-bac pre-med requirements at U of L prior to matriculation at the U of L School of Medicine.
Admission Time Frame
- For assured admission in August of a given year, the applicant must have:
- Enrolled and started classes in the Post-bac certificate program by January of the year PRIOR TO the year of desired medical school matriculation.
- Completed ≥ 24 hours within the UL Post-bac program by December 31 of that same year.
- For desired assured admission status in August of a given year, the applicant must inform the Post-bac Director of this intention and submit their AMCAS application by October 1 of the prior year.
Please note: Students wishing to apply to additional medical schools can still be considered for assured admission at the U of L School of Medicine but, must apply as regular MD and pay the applicable AMCAS fees (ULSOM must be one of your choices). Applicants who apply as early assurance but, do not meet the assured admission standards (e.g., interview scores, 3.5 GPA) will be deferred to the regular applicant pool for consideration at U of L and can then apply to other programs.
- If have completed more than or equal to 24 hours within UofL Post-bac program and UofL Post-bac GPA is greater than or equal to 3.6, then will be interviewed.
- If more than or equal to 30 hours within UofL Post-bac program and UofL Post-bac GPA is greater than or equal to 3.5 then will be interviewed.
- If UofL Post-bac GPA does not meet these requirements then the applicant goes into pool for regular admission consideration.
- INTERVIEW SCORE greater than or equal 28 total points for two interviews (that is, an average score greater than or equal to 3.5) with no section below 3 (Note: 3.0 is an "average" interview on this scale).
- Interviews will be offered after the applicant has successfully completed more than or equal to 24 hours as outlined in Item 1. Above.
- If interview total points are less than or equal to 27 then the applicant goes into pool for regular admission consideration.
- MCAT must be scheduled such that the score is available on or before May 15 of the year of desired matriculation.
- MCAT greater than or equal to 9.0 average (with not less than 8 on any individual numerical section) and at least N in the writing sample, all during one testing; with GPA and interview standards also met, then "Assured Admission."
- If MCAT less than 9.0/N then the applicant goes into pool for regular admission consideration.
- The MCAT may be retaken a second time as long as Item 3.1. is fulfilled. However the most recent score will then be the score of action and must meet Item 3.2. for an assured admission.
- If the necessary score is not achieved with the second attempt, the student must meet with the Post-bac Program Director (PD) to discuss options and the possibility of a third attempt. The PD will then meet with Admissions personnel to determine if a third assured admission attempt will be allowed.
Post-bac Program Admissions Protocol