Bella Beilman, of Louisville, KY., is member of the McConnell Scholar Class of 2022 at the University of Louisville where she studies Economics, Political Science, and Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies.
Honors and Awards
- University of Louisville Honors Program
- University of Louisville Trustees Scholar
Campus and Extracurricular Involvement
- College of Business Senator, University of Louisville Student Government Association
- Chi Omega Women’s Fraternity
- Center for Free Enterprise reading group
- Cards in Action
- Shadow Host
- Arabic Language and Culture Club
- Oxfam America
- Y-Club (KYA/KUNA) Advisor for Nativity Academy
- Staff at Cardinal Cupboard, a sustainable food pantry on UofL’s campus
- Childcare, Family Scholar House
She is a 2018 graduate of Assumption High School, where she earned AP Scholar honors and finished among the top 10 percent of her class. She was active with the Kentucky YMCA Youth Association, serving as the Youth Governor of Kentucky with state-wide and national responsibilities. She was also president of her school's YMCA chapter. She founded and served as co-president of the Young Politicians Club, which focused on bipartisan issues and encouraged civic action and voter turnout. Other leadership roles included vice president of Rho Kappa (Social Studies National Honor Society) and the Culinary Club. She earned several awards, including the University of Louisville Yarmuth Book Award, National Spanish Exam-Silver Award, and her school's Model of Mercy award. She participated in an exchange program to Johannesburg, South Africa.
Jack Kerouac once said, "the only people for me are the mad ones...mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time." I believe the McConnell Scholars I will be surrounded by are mad, and I couldn't be happier to be one of them.