Civics in the News
- Memorabilia, civics lessons from McConnell's life, career on display in archives
- (Nov. 13, 2014) LOUISVILLE, Ky. – U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has been in public service for more than 40 years and was just elected by his peers to serve as Senate Majority Leader in the upcoming congress.
- McConnell Center partners with James Madison’s Montpelier
- (Nov. 12, 2014) LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The University of Louisville’s McConnell Center has partnered with the Robert H. Smith Center for the Constitution at James Madison’s Montpelier. The civic education partnership will allow Kentucky social studies teachers in the McConnell Center’s professional development network to further immerse themselves in primary source documents related to the U.S. Constitution.
- Professional development immersion conference for Ky. teachers announced
- Nov. 7, 2014 application deadline; conference dates are Feb. 26-March 1, 2015, to St. Louis, MO
- McConnell Center fellow to deliver 'Presidential All Stars' before UofL homecoming game
- (Oct. 17, 2014) LOUISVILLE, Ky. – University of Louisville alumna Barbara Perry, PhD, will explore how presidents use athletics to bolster their political image in the next College of Arts and Sciences pre-game talk.
- Center welcomes Ben Gies as civics graduate assistant
- (Aug. 19, 2014) LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Gies will develop civic enrichment programs such as the McConnell Center’s Young Leaders Academy for high school students and facilitate professional development conferences for Kentucky social studies teachers.
- Center launches 'Debating America' fall lecture series
- (Aug. 1, 2014) LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The University of Louisville's McConnell Center will offer a series of public talks this fall. All events are free and open to the public, unless otherwise noted.
- 28 Ky. teachers complete McConnell Center’s Teachers Scholars Program
- (July 17, 2014) LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Twenty-eight teachers from across Kentucky have successfully completed the yearlong Teachers Scholars Program through the University of Louisville’s McConnell Center.
- McConnell Center wishes Vaughn well as family moves to Cleveland
- APPLY NOW: Teacher Scholars Program applications now available for KY educators
- (May 12, 2014) LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Applications for the McConnell Center's Teacher Scholars Program are now available for KY educators K-12. The priority consideration deadline is June 13th.
- Teachers to help revive Daniel Boone's legacy in social studies curriculum
- (Feb. 26, 2014) Professional development opportunity will consider the historical, geographic and cultural legacy of Daniel Boone in the eastern Kentucky region.
- Director weighs in on Franklin Opus' presidential survey panel
- (February 17, 2014) McConnell Center director Gary Gregg, PhD, serves as a senior fellow at Franklin's Opus.
- 'AP Saturday' canceled 2/15 due to inclement weather
- (Feb. 14, 2014) LOUISVILLE, Ky. - For more information, contact Trisha Vaughn, Civic Education Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (502) 852-8811.
- Ft. Thomas Highlands team wins state 'We the People' competition
- (Jan. 30, 2014) LOUISVILLE, Ky. – High School students competed at the University of Louisville's McConnell Center to earn a bid to the national 'We the People' civics competition.
- Center receives $16,000 for military challenge coin project
- (Dec. 17, 2013) LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The generous gifts allow the McConnell Center to send 3,000 military challenge coins to members of the U.S. Army's Third Combat Brigade.
- Male High School students donate $2,100 to military coin challenge
- (Nov. 11, 2013) LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Students rally to donate gifts to 600 Kentucky soldiers stationed in Afghanistan.
- Constitution Day 2013Sep 17, 2013 from
10:00 AM to
University of Louisville,
- As the University of Louisville's sponsor for U.S. Constitution Day, the McConnell Center invites K-6 students to compete in an art contest. Additionally, the Center is hosting a voter registration drive, complete with pocket-size Constitutions and free cupcakes.
- Center welcomes Vaughn as civic education coordinator
- (Aug. 12, 2013) LOUISVILLE, Ky. - A familiar face will work with Kentucky primary and secondary educators and students for the upcoming year as the McConnell Center's civic education coordinator.
- Slavery and the Constitutional Republic
Jan 30, 2014 12:00 AM to
Feb 02, 2014 12:00 AM—
- (Jan. 30-Feb. 2, 2014) — A four-day conference to Cincinnati, Ohio, co-sponsored by the McConnell Center and Liberty Fund, Inc.
- 25 KY high school students complete McConnell Center's Young Leaders Academy
- (July 29, 2013) LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Students previewed college life last week as part of the annual summer leadership academy.