Civics in the News
- Center welcomes Ben Gies as civics graduate assistant
- (Aug. 19, 2014) LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Gies will develop civic enrichment programs such as the McConnell Center’s Young Leaders Academy for high school students and facilitate professional development conferences for Kentucky social studies teachers.
- Center launches 'Debating America' fall lecture series
- (Aug. 1, 2014) LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The University of Louisville's McConnell Center will offer a series of public talks this fall. All events are free and open to the public, unless otherwise noted.
- 28 Ky. teachers complete McConnell Center’s Teachers Scholars Program
- (July 17, 2014) LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Twenty-eight teachers from across Kentucky have successfully completed the yearlong Teachers Scholars Program through the University of Louisville’s McConnell Center.
- McConnell Center wishes Vaughn well as family moves to Cleveland
- APPLY NOW: Teacher Scholars Program applications now available for KY educators
- (May 12, 2014) LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Applications for the McConnell Center's Teacher Scholars Program are now available for KY educators K-12. The priority consideration deadline is June 13th.
- Teachers to help revive Daniel Boone's legacy in social studies curriculum
- (Feb. 26, 2014) Professional development opportunity will consider the historical, geographic and cultural legacy of Daniel Boone in the eastern Kentucky region.
- Director weighs in on Franklin Opus' presidential survey panel
- (February 17, 2014) McConnell Center director Gary Gregg, PhD, serves as a senior fellow at Franklin's Opus.
- 'AP Saturday' canceled 2/15 due to inclement weather
- (Feb. 14, 2014) LOUISVILLE, Ky. - For more information, contact Trisha Vaughn, Civic Education Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (502) 852-8811.
- Ft. Thomas Highlands team wins state 'We the People' competition
- (Jan. 30, 2014) LOUISVILLE, Ky. – High School students competed at the University of Louisville's McConnell Center to earn a bid to the national 'We the People' civics competition.
- Center receives $16,000 for military challenge coin project
- (Dec. 17, 2013) LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The generous gifts allow the McConnell Center to send 3,000 military challenge coins to members of the U.S. Army's Third Combat Brigade.
- Male High School students donate $2,100 to military coin challenge
- (Nov. 11, 2013) LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Students rally to donate gifts to 600 Kentucky soldiers stationed in Afghanistan.
- Constitution Day 2013Sep 17, 2013 from
10:00 AM to
University of Louisville,
- As the University of Louisville's sponsor for U.S. Constitution Day, the McConnell Center invites K-6 students to compete in an art contest. Additionally, the Center is hosting a voter registration drive, complete with pocket-size Constitutions and free cupcakes.
- Center welcomes Vaughn as civic education coordinator
- (Aug. 12, 2013) LOUISVILLE, Ky. - A familiar face will work with Kentucky primary and secondary educators and students for the upcoming year as the McConnell Center's civic education coordinator.
- Slavery and the Constitutional Republic
Jan 30, 2014 12:00 AM to
Feb 02, 2014 12:00 AM—
- (Jan. 30-Feb. 2, 2014) — A four-day conference to Cincinnati, Ohio, co-sponsored by the McConnell Center and Liberty Fund, Inc.
- 25 KY high school students complete McConnell Center's Young Leaders Academy
- (July 29, 2013) LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Students previewed college life last week as part of the annual summer leadership academy.
- Young Leaders Academy
Jul 24, 2013 08:00 AM to
Jul 27, 2013 05:00 PM—
McConnell Center, Ekstrom Library, Belknap Campus,
- Kentucky high school students will explore the "Roots of U.S." in this four-day, summer leadership conference.
- Liberty and Responsibility in the Cold War
Nov 14, 2013 12:00 AM to
Nov 17, 2013 12:00 AM—
- (Nov. 14-17, 2013) A four-day conference to Atlanta, Ga., co-sponsored by the McConnell Center and Liberty Fund, Inc.
- 2013-2014 Professional Development Application
- McConnell Center - Liberty Fund Partnered Conferences
- Constitution Amendment Contest
- This information must accompany the 2012 Constitutional Amendment Contest sponsored by the McConnell Center.
- Professional Development
- Upcoming professional development opportunities for Kentucky social studies teachers, grades K-12