Logistics Overview (Travel, Dress Code, Housing)
Planning Travel to and from Louisville, Kentucky
Please check into your room at Homewood Suites by Hilton Louisville Downtown (635 West Market Street, Louisville, Kentucky, 40202, USA) before 3:30 pm ET, Sunday, Aug. 25. You may book your return flight from Washington, DC, for any time after 10:30 am ET, Saturday, Sept. 21.
Reservations for your stay at Homewood Suites have already been made by your sponsor. Please do not call and schedule reservations on your own.
- Flights to Louisville arrive at the Louisville International Airport (also known as Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport/SDF).
- Flights from Washington, DC, can be routed from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA), Dulles International Airport (IAD) or Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI).
Questions? Please contact Connor Tracy or 502-852-3158.
Transportation from Louisville International Airport to hotel
- A cab can be hailed just outside of the airport terminal. This will cost approximately $20 to travel to Homewood Suites Downtown. Uber and Lyft are also available for use in the Louisville area.
- Please retain your receipt from ground transportation so that you can be reimbursed through DTS after the Seminar.
Day of Arrival: Sunday, Aug. 25
McConnell Center representatives will be posted in the Homewood Suites Lobby between 2-3:45 pm. Please check in with us as you arrive.
If you plan to arrive before 2 pm, please let us know. Go directly to the check-in desk; hopefully your room will be ready. You may check back with us at our welcome desk between 2-3:45 pm, if you have any questions, problems, concerns or just want to introduce yourself.
The #SBS2019 cohort will gather in the Homewood Suites Conference Room at 4:00 pm for our orientation session, followed by dinner. Dress code for this evening is business casual.
About the Homewood Suites by Hilton Louisville Downtown & Amenities
NOTE: Reservations have already been made for your stay by the sponsor. Please do not call and make reservations on your own.
- Hotel suite (single occupancy)
- TV, cable & internet provided
- Daily housekeeping service
- Fully equipped kitchen with a two-burner cooktop and full-size appliances including a refrigerator/freezer, microwave, dishwasher, coffeemaker, cookware, plates, cups and utensils
- Complimentary services include: hot full breakfast available each day, grocery shopping service, full dinner service Monday-Thursday, and access to heated indoor pool, fitness center and patio space
- Coin laundry room available
Students will utilize mini-vans to and from Homewood Suites to the university or to alternate class locations. We will ask for 12 voluntary drivers for the mini-vans.
The McConnell Center will handle all transportation & hotel accommodations other than coordinating your arrival flight to and transportation from the Louisville airport to the hotel (see above) and your individual transportation to the airport and your departure flight from the Washington D.C. area.
You will travel via bus from Louisville, KY, to Gettysburg, PA, on Sunday, Sept. 15 and from Gettysburg to Washington, DC, on Monday, Sept. 16. The McConnell Center will handle this transportation.
- Civilian clothes are appropriate for most sessions.
- For the classroom setting, attire will be business casual (golf shirt/polo and khakis, summer dress, etc. – no jeans, no sneakers, no t-shirts).
- You will have occasions in Louisville and Washington, DC, when military uniforms (Army Service Uniforms) or business attire (coat and tie) will be required for military personnel and business attire (coat and tie) will be required for civilians.
- Soldiers will be responsible for their own laundry services.
What to Bring
- A laptop or tablet is required for each student. Internet access will be required for research projects, and some readings will also be made available for online study.
- You will be issued a Strategic Broadening Seminar notebook, along with pencils and pens. You may use these resources or you may bring your own paper and writing instruments. You should always attend classroom experiences with paper and pens or pencils for note-taking.
- You will need to bring your own backpack or bag to carry your class materials each day.
- We recommend bringing an extra piece of luggage, such as a duffle bag, as you will receive 10+ books during your stay.
- Please note that taking classroom notes on a laptop is strongly discouraged.
- The sponsor has paid for room, board and tuition costs associated with your participation in the Strategic Broadening Seminar.
- You will be responsible for any extracurricular activities you decide to participate in while in Louisville, and there will be several optional cash bars available for those who wish to partake during structured social events.
- Funding for participant board (meals) will be distributed on a pre-paid debit card for which you will be responsible.