Application deadline nears for KY teachers' trip to Mt. Rushmore
Part of the McConnell Center's Civic Education Initiative
The deadline for a fully-funded four-day field immersion professional development opportunity to Mt. Rushmore" is July 1. The trip is scheduled for Oct. 14-17, 2010.
"Liberty and Power: The American Experience" is a co-sponsored program of the McConnell Center and Liberty Fund, Inc.
About the Program
This program is open to all Kentucky social studies teachers and will explore the nature and extent of executive power in the United States Constitution. Readings will review of the debates at the Constitutional Convention on executive power, as well as the Federalist and Anti-Federalist papers, the Pacificus-Helvidius debates, Supreme Court cases, and contemporary debates over executive war powers. The goal of the readings and discussions will be to consider the scope of executive power and attempts to define this power.
- The program is co-sponsored with Liberty Fund, Inc. As such, there is a heavy emphasis on group discussion. Selected participants are required to have completed approximately 250 pages of reading and to come prepared to discuss and question these readings with their fellow teachers and discussion leaders. The success of the Institute will hang on each teacher's participation in the discussions.
- Covered conference expenses include:
- • round trip airfare to Rapid City, South Dakota
- • double room accommodations for the conference
- • all meals during the conference
- • all conference readings and other educational resources
- • all transportation and admission fees associated with group travel during the Institute
- • substitute teachers (if required by your school district)
- Institute Discussion Leader:
- • Dr. James Rogers, Texas A&M University
- Space is very limited. Applications due July 1.