McConnell Center co-sponsors 'Outstanding Civic Education Leadership Award'
(March 18, 2011) — DuPont Manual's Merritt Robinson wins the second annual award from the Kentucky Secretary of State.
Sec. of State Elaine Walker, Award recipient Merritt Robinson, KDE's Mendy Meehan and the McConnell Center's Malana Salyer
Secretary of State Elaine Walker awarded the Kentucky Outstanding Civic Education Leadership Award to Merritt Robinson and 14 regional civics educators at the Kentucky High School Athletic Association Sweet 16 Tournament. The award is sponsored by the KHSAA, Office of Secretary of State, Kentucky Department of Education and McConnell Center at the University of Louisville.
The honorees demonstrated outstanding leadership in the classroom by promoting and strengthening civic education and by providing students the opportunity to be active engaged citizens in their communities
Robinson, an educator at DuPont Manual High School led her students in raising $17,000 in funds for local and global service learning projects and spent 18,000 hours helping 70 different community organizations. They raised funds to purchase goats for families in Darfur and conducted a Service Learning Celebration Fair that included 182 different projects on display.
“Ms. Robinson, like all educators honored today, has gone above and beyond the call of duty and is an inspiration to each of us as we strive to increase civic participation in the next generation," Walker said. "Each educator honored today is an excellent example of how we can positively shape the lives of young people each and every day. Their work increasing civic education is important in helping shape the next generation of leaders.”
The award recognizes a teacher, school administrator, educational leader, legislator or community organization leader who has made notable contributions toward promoting or implementing civic learning to prepare students to be informed, engaged and responsible citizens.
Finalists from the 16 KHSAA Sweet 16 regions are:
- Region 1: Karen Worley Dean of Hickman County Elementary
- Region 2: Brian Gardner of AB Chandler Elementary
- Region 3: Gerald (Gary) W. Morris of McLean County High School
- Region 4: Ron Prieskorn and Olivia Perdue of Bowling Green Independent High School
- Region 5: Brandon K. Davis of John Hardin High School
- Region 7: Merritt Robinson of DuPont Manual High School
- Region 9: Megan Boimann-Hennie of Fort Thomas Highlands High School
- Region 10: Kathy Miller of Hannah McClure Elementary
- Region 11: Kelley West of Christ the King School
- Region 12: Jennifer Chaplin of Monticello Independent Schools
- Region 13: Jennie Watkins of Corbin Intermediate School
- Region 14: Clara Gabbard of LBJ Elementary
- Region 15: Chase Goodman of Allen Central High School
- Region 16: Michelle Hawkins of Flemingsburg Elementary School