Instruction in the use of the library and electronic resources is available for individuals, small groups, and classes by appointment, including:
- Introduction to the Kornhauser Library and its services and facilities.
- Using Minerva - The Online Catalog, to locate books, journals, audiovisuals, and other materials held in the UofL Libraries.
- Medline classes including beginning and advanced sessions for searching with Ovid and using PubMed
- Historical collections at the Kornhauser Library
- Using electronic resources to find journal articles and other information,
- Effective use of Google and appropriate use of web-based information.
- Advanced level search instruction tailored to your needs.
- Searching other databases for the literature of the biomedical sciences including Science Citation Index, SciFinder Scholar, and the CSA collection of databases
- Using bibliographic databases in the social sciences to support multidisciplinary research, including ERIC (education) and Sociological Abstracts
- Learning the benefits of citation management software, i.e., ReferenceManager and EndNote.
- Introduction to the publication process
- Table of Contents and article and topical search updating services
Instruction formats include:
- Classroom instruction with hands-on experience can be scheduled at the instructor's convenience, either in the Adams History Room on the 3rd floor of the Library, or the IT classroom in the B building, or at another computer equipped facility on the HSC campus. Classes taught in the Adams Room can make use of 6 wireless laptop computers for hands-on instruction.
- Small group instruction in the library.
- Tours and orientations to the library and its services.
- "House calls" by librarians to offices and laboratories.
Consultation on implementing health sciences information literacy into instructional programs is available.
Printed handouts and brochures describing the various services and electronic resources are available in the library and online.
For more information call Michel Atlas at 852-8534.