Interlibrary Loan - Frequently Asked Questions
Getting Started with ILLiad
ILLiad is the University of Louisville Libraries' online Interlibrary Loan. ILLiad improves Interlibrary Loan at UofL in several ways:
- ILLiad allows you to keep track of your own requests online
- ILLiad automates several tedious and time consuming tasks for the library staff allowing them to concentrate on quickly locating and obtaining the items you need.
To use ILLiad you must set up your user profile. This will be your permanent, password protected, account. It makes requesting journal articles, books and other library materials simple and easy. You create your own userid and password. Be sure it is something you will remember.
To create an account and start using ILLiad, go to the Interlibrary Loan Page. For more information, see the FAQ (frequently asked questions) section below.
The Kornhauser Library Interlibrary Loan Department does not accept paper or faxed forms, only ILLiad requests. For assistance with ILLiad, call the Kornhauser Library Interlibrary Loan office on 852-5769, Monday-Friday 8am to 5:30pm, or stop by the library.
It is Kornhauser Library Policy to obtain materials which members of the UofL health sciences community need that are not owned by Kornhauser Health Sciences Library. Patrons must determine accessibility before submitting requests by searching the Libraries Catalog, Journal Finder , or by consulting the library staff. Note that some of the Libraries’ collections are not cataloged in Minerva (such as the ERIC microfiche collection). Items which are owned by Kornhauser Library but are 14 days overdue are considered lost and can be requested through interlibrary loan. Patrons may request items to be transferred between Belknap Campus and Health Sciences Campus via ILLiad.
ILLiad Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Kornhauser
- What is ILLiad?
- Who is eligible to use ILLiad?
- Why do I need a username and password to use ILLiad?
- What if I forget my password?
- What about rush requests?
- What if I am not affiliated with the UofL?
- Is security a problem if I use a public workstation?
- Why don't I see all my older requests when I look at my request history?
- What is Electronic Delivery?
- Who do I contact if I have problems with or questions about ILLiad?
- Why does my browser say that you're sending a cookie? What's is it?
- What is a UI or PMID number, and why do I need it?
Back to Top
Your username and password gives you secure access to information about your Interlibrary loan requests. It also enables you to edit your personal information such as your address or phone number.
Your username can be anything you like, such as your name, abbreviations, or an alphanumeric code. Your password also can be anything you like. We recommend that you follow good security practice and choose a password that is different from those you use to access other systems. However, no one but you will know your password, not even the library staff. The password you set is stored in an encrypted file.
Additional Rush Charges per Item
3 Days - $10.00
Next Day - $15.00
Same Day - $20.00 (submit by 2:00 pm weekdays)
All others not affiliated with UofL (including (UofL Community Card holders) must request Interlibrary loans from their local public library or other library with which they are affiliated.
Yes and No. Web browsers cache (save) information and create a history file on the local workstation. This allows a subsequent user of the workstation to access the system under your name using the browser's Back button to recall a page from the cache, or by finding a page with your personal information in the browser's history file. If you are concerned about the security of your Interlibrary loan requests, you can take the following steps:
- When using a public access workstation at Kornhauser Library:
- Exit (close) the Web browser before you leave the workstation. This prevents the Back button from accessing the pages you were using.
- Access ILLiad only from your personal or office/lab computer or an otherwise secure workstation.
- When accessing ILLiad from a non-secure workstation, clear the browser
History as follows:
- Internet Explorer: go to Tools->Internet Options->General->Clear History
- Netscape Navigator: go to Edit->Preferences->Navigator->Clear History
- You can also clear the cache (temporary internet) files at these screens.
Back to Top