General Service Policies
- 24-Hour Notification: Requests are responded to within 24 hours except on weekends.
Requested Item Types
- Books, book chapters, journal articles, proceedings, dissertations and theses can be requested. Videos are not lent due to loan restrictions.
- Articles and book chapters are emailed in PDF format.
- Postal Mail: Books are mailed to locations only in the United States. DLLS pays for outgoing shipping, but not return postage.
Borrower Loan Periods
*NOTE: Loan periods for items requested via inter-library loan from non-UofL libraries are shorter because return dates are set by lending libraries.
International Item Shipping
- Items (e.g, books) are not mailed internationally due to the university policy.
- Passwords are not assigned to DLLS patrons to access services.
- ULink passwords are needed to authenticate when using library services off-campus.
- Patrons living in the United States should contact the IT Help Desk at (502) 852-7997.
- International patrons should contact DLLS.
The following exceptions are made for these groups:
- Independent Study: Users must be currently enrolled.
- Faculty Sabbatical not currently teaching need to use the on-campus library services.
Overdue, Lost and Damaged Items
- Disclaimer: Items not returned, lost, or damaged by DLLS patrons are responsible for paying replacement costs. The fee per item is $80 (this amount includes a $25 processing fee). Unpaid fees will have a bursar block placed on the borrower's library and university account. Bursar blocks can take up to three business days to remove once items are returned or payment received.
- Overdue items: Item(s) 28 days overdue will also get a bursar block on the borrower's library and university account. Library privileges are suspended until items are returned.