Subscribers for Jefferson Seminary, 1798
Richard Clough Anderson settled in Kentucky in 1784 and lived in Jefferson County until his death. Anderson was best known as a Revolutionary War hero, who served as a lieutenant colonel in the Continental army and who received wounds in the battles of Trenton and Savannah. Anderson held posts as a land surveyor and constitutional delegate in his adopted state. His son, Robert, was the commander of Fort Sumter when it was attacked by Confederate forces in the opening salvo of the American Civil War.
Alexander Scott Bullitt came to Kentucky in 1783 and became an officer in the local militia. He received an appointment as one of the first trustees of Louisville. He established an estate in eastern Jefferson County known as Oxmoor. Bullitt's political career included election as the first lieutenant governor of Kentucky, service as a constitutional delegate, a position as one of the original state senators for the Commonwealth, and the post of speaker of the state senate from 1792 to 1800. Bullitt County, adjacent to Jefferson County, was named in his honor.
A descendant of Alexander Bullitt, William Marshall Bullitt continued the family tradition of prominence and government service. He was appointed U.S. solicitor general by President William Howard Taft in 1912. He also founded the law firm Bullitt, Dawson, & Tarrant. William Bullitt presented the subscription list to the University of Louisville in 1950.
Croghan, a native of Ireland, came to Kentucky in 1784 with his future brother-in-law, George Rogers Clark, to survey the public lands intended for veterans of the Virginia militia. He later became a surveyor for the Commonwealth of Kentucky, a constitutional delegate, and a trustee of Louisville. He established an estate, Locust Grove, in eastern Jefferson County.
Source: Kentucky Encyclopedia