Edwin W. Paul Papers, 1931-1995, bulk 1931-1967
Accessions: 1979-186, 1987-041, 1997-022, 1999-023
Extent: .50 linear foot
Copyright: Copyright has not been transferred to the University of Louisville Archives and Records Center.
Edwin W. Paul was born in Louisville, Kentucky in 1908. He earned an A.B. (1932), an M.A. (1936); an LL.B. (1949); and a J.D. (1969) from the University of Louisville. He also did some coursework at Columbia University in 1937 and Northwestern University in 1960-1961.
He began teaching at the J.B. Speed Scientific School in 1943 where he stayed until 1975. From 1974 to 1978 he served as legal affairs counsel for the university. He retired in 1978.
During his career Paul also served as legal counsel to the American Civil Liberties Union and Hayfield Montessori School and legal counsel and president of the Kentucky Civil Liberties Union. He wrote on voting rights for the League of Women Voters and penned the first UofL faculty handbook. After retirement Paul served as a hearing officer for the Air Pollution Control District of Jefferson County, Kentucky; attorney for the Jefferson County Council on Aging; and as coordinator for the Tax Aide Program of the American Association of Retired Persons and the Internal Revenue Service.
This small collection contains a biography of Edwin Paul, along with his dissertation, some other academic and legal papers, and material pertaining to the fraternity Sigma Mu Sigma. University of Louisville yearbooks were separated and added to the yearbook collection. University of Kentucky yearbooks were given to the Archives at UK.
- Biography, 1908-1995
- Memorabilia including Graduation Card, UofL Commencement Program and Baccalaureate Program, 1931; news clippings
- "Social Business Education: A Tentative Course of Study in Consumer Education-Commercial Curriculum Committee for Secondary Schools," 1936
- "A Proposed Consumer Education Course Based Upon an Analysis of Consumers' Questions and Problems," University of Louisville dissertation, 1936
- Library information, 1937-1946
- Sigma Mu Sigma Pamphlet, Meeting Minutes, Fellowship Song, Certificate, 1953
- "The Development in the United States of the Use of the Control Theory in the Determination of the Enemy Character of Private Corporations," June 1961 (2 copies)
- "The Conflict of Laws and Section 1-105(1) of the Uniform Commercial Code," January 1961 (2 copies)
- "Law, Science, and General Semantics," January 1961 (3 copies)
- Brief for Appellee: James P. Hallahan (County Clerk, Jefferson County) and Henry Carter (Secretary of State) vs. Emmet V. Mittlebeeler, 1963
- Brief for Appellants: Richard Workman and Isaac Pipes vs. Commonwealth of Kentucky, 1967 (2 copies)