Post Master's Coursework
The Kent School of Social Work offers opportunities for post graduates to take additional coursework in the following specialized areas:
- Alcohol and Drug Counseling
- Couple and Family Therapy
- Leadership, Management, & Supervision
- Mental Health
- Military Social Work
- Psychosocial Oncology
- School Social Work*
*School social work has specific additional program requirements. Please view website for details.
To View MSSW Elective Course Descriptions: CLICK HERE
You will have the opportunity to take individual courses or complete a sequence of courses within a specialization. You can also earn CEUs approved by the Kentucky Board of Social Work for your coursework. There are on campus and online options available. (Please check the schedule of courses for availability.)
Please note: If you plan to complete a sequence of courses within a specialization, you must complete a specialization program sheet and adhere to specific deadlines.
How to Apply
Print Application Checklist [PDF]
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please view instructions below regarding the process to take one (1) or more courses as a Post Masters Student.
- Complete Post Graduate Pre-Registration Form HERE
- You will receive a confirmation email with additional instructions.
- Apply as non- degree seeking, post masters student via a graduate student application at: http://louisville.edu/graduate/futurestudents/apply-materials/application
- Pay $65 application Fee
- Submit an official transcript certifying at least a bachelor’s degree. (All University of Louisville transcripts will automatically be submitted with the completion of an application.)
- 3.0 GPA required
Applications will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee only when application, fee and transcripts are received. An admission decision is typically made 1-2 weeks after receipt of complete application. You will be sent notification electronically of admission decision.
If you would like to complete a Specialization, please provide additional documentation below:
- Submit the following:
- Updated Resume
- Professional development essay discussing your interest, past experiences in the field, need for professional development, and potential contribution and plans after course completion.
- Program Sheet
View program sheets:
- Alcohol and Drug Counseling [DOC]
- Couple and Family Therapy [DOC]
- Gerontology [DOC]
- Leadership, Management, & Supervision [DOC]
- Mental Health [DOC]
- Military Social Work [DOC]
- Psychosocial Oncology [DOC]
- School Social Work [DOC]
Applications will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee only when all complete documentation is received. An admission decision is typically made 2-4 weeks after receipt of complete application. You will be sent notification electronically of admission decision.
By offering these post masters courses, The Kent School of Social Work hopes to demonstrate our commitment to the community by striving to meet career demands, encourage job exploration by offering additional courses in specialized areas, promote and provide networking opportunities for Kent alumni and other professionals within the field of social work.
Please review our FAQ document regarding the Post Masters Process and courses.
For additional questions, please contact Jessica Ballinger.
Program Contact Information:
Jessica Ballinger, MSSW Program Manager for Continuing Education