Admissions FAQs

Do I need to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) for admission to Kent?

If your cumulative GPA is 2.75 or above, no test score is required for admission to Kent. Otherwise, applicants need to submit an acceptable score on either the GRE or the MAT.  The School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies standards require a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5, therefore students applying to the Kent School with a GPA of 2.5 or less will rarely be considered.

What are the criteria for acceptance into the Advanced Standing Program?

Kent School will consider for the Advanced Standing Program (30 hours), applicants who have graduated with a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) from a regionally accredited program within the last 7 years, provided the applicant has a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above and has at least a B in all social work courses, and a 3.25 cumulative GPA in all social work foundation courses. In addition, 1 of the applicant’s 3 letters of recommendation must be from someone associated with Practicum (Director of Field Education, practicum seminar instructor, or practicum supervisor). Applicants who obtained their BSW beyond the 7 year deadline may be considered in rare circumstances.

Are there any prerequisites for admission?

The three prerequisites are Human Biology, Statistics and Research Methods. Applicants who need to complete prerequisites have the option to take the courses online at Kent School. For details and other options, see Prerequisites.

Also see Prerequisites FAQs.

What is the deadline for admission to the MSSW-CFT Couple and Family Therapy specialization (this specialization is open to on campus students ONLY)?

Prospective CFT specialization students have the best chance of admittance if they get their applications completed and submitted to Kent School by the special Jan 30th deadline. Students should ensure that they have included all the information for the MSSW admissions process as well as the CFT specific requirements. The admissions process will be conducted on a rolling basis beginning shortly after Jan 30th, and will continue until the class is full.  Each year the program will also keep a short waiting list to insure a full class.

Is acceptance into the MSSW-CFT Couple and Family Therapy specialization the same as admission to Kent this specialization is open to on campus students ONLY)?

No. Although admission to Kent School is the first step and those interested should proceed with an application to Kent, there are additional admission requirements for this specialization. To apply for admission to this program, please review the CFT specialization page information and contact the director’s assistant, Danette Baker to confirm your interest. Acceptance into the CFT specialization is limited and highly competitive.

Are there any special requirements for admission for international students?

For admission to Kent School, international students may be required to have transcripts evaluated by a transcript evaluation service and students whose native language is not English are required to submit a TOEFL score. See the Application Checklist for details. Additionally, students must contact the International Center in order to become knowledgeable about the various requirements for international students who wish to be admitted to the University.

What are the options for scholarships and financial aid?

Most scholarship funds are awarded primarily based on need with a strong commitment to support minority students to insure a diverse student body.  Some scholarships are designed to support students with various interests, for example: plans to practice in rural Kentucky, an interest in working in gerontology, or an interest in macro practice with an aging, policy or legislative focus. The University of Louisville’s Financial Aid Department keeps a list of various other UL Scholarships and financial aid counselors can assist with other questions. Financial Aid Information

Is there a difference between MSW and MSSW degrees?

A Master of Social Work and a Master of Science in Social Work have similar required coursework as mandated by the accrediting body, CSWE (Council on Social Work Education).

Are there Specialization and Dual Degree opportunities with a MSSW?

Yes! We have Specializations and Dual Degree opportunities. Visit our Academics page to learn more.