HBCU Cardinal Express to Success
The HBCU Cardinal Express to Success program is designed to increase the representation of advanced social work practitioners of color prepared to provide practice with diverse, vulnerable and marginalized individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities. This graduate MSSW program will focus on recruiting students who are currently pursuing or have completed a Bachelor of Social Work degree at a Historically Black College and University (HBCU).
The Kent School of Social Work has an accelerated admissions process and scholarship opportunities for HBCU students and recent graduates. Through our programmatic offerings of mentoring and networking opportunities, professional development, career placement support and scholarships, the program will strive to provide the support the students need to be successful during their social work education and in their professional social work careers.
- Personalized admissions and advising support
- “Kent HBCU Scholar” scholarship awards, in addition to MSSW Scholarship priority consideration
- Faculty mentoring and Faculty of Color Connection spotlights
- Student mentoring from Kent MSSW alumni and current students
- Campus and Virtual Campus Visits
- Social Networking
- One on one resume and career preparation
- Expedited Application and Admissions to MSSW program
- Graduate or a senior year student from a participating HBCU University*
- Complete a graduate application
- 1 letter of recommendation from a BSW Professor for Social Work graduates; 2 letters of recommendation from professors for all other major graduates
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Copy of Most Recent Field Evaluation (social work graduates only)
- Admissions Essay
- NO GRE!
For more admissions details, please see the HBCU Cardinal Express to Success Application Checklists below:
Available on campus and online
For questions about this program or how to develop a new partnership with the Kent School, contact an MSSW Admissions Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download program flyer [PDF]