PhD Student Information
— filed under: Ph.D. Graduates
List of our graduates and what they are doing now.
46 Graduates As of January, 2009
- 5/2002 Dr. Kevin Borders
The Guy Stevenson Award for Excellence in Graduate Studies
- 12/2002 Dr. Becky Antle
The John Richard Binford Memorial Award
- 5/2004 Sr. Dr. Rita Valade
The John M. Houchens Award for Best Dissertation
- 5/2007 Dr. Barbara Head
The Guy Stevenson Award for Excellence in Graduate Studies
Graduate Dean’s Citations
- 5/2002 Dr. Kathy Lay
- 8/2003 Dr. Dana Sullivan
- 5/2004 Dr. Tomarra Adams, Dr. Helen Mudd, Dr. Lyle Cooper, Dr. Steve Drewry
- 5/2005 Dr. Anne Banks, Dr. David Pooler, Dr. Bart Irwin, Dr. Suk-hee Kim
- 8/2005 Maj. Dr. Carol Copeland, Dr. Chris Hall
- 5/2006 Dr. Amy Cappiccie, Dr. David Patterson
- 12/2006 Dr. Amy Doolittle, Dr. Dru Kemp, Dr. Kathy Pahl
- 5/2007 Dr. Cindy Conley ,Dr. Barbara Head
- 5/2008 Dr. Jennifer Jewell, Dr. Christina Studts
List of Graduates by Alphabetical Order
- Adams, Tomarra. (May, 2004). The Relationship between Enrollment in Black Studies Courses and the Retention of Black Students in an Historically White University. Asst. Dean for Advising & Student Services & Asst. Professor in Pan-African/Women's & Gender Studies. Graduate Dean’s Citation
- Antle, Becky F. (December, 2002). Training Evaluation for Supervisor Best Practice in Child Welfare. Assistant Professor, Kent School of Social Work, University of Louisville. The John Richard Binford Memorial Award.
- Banks, Anne. (May, 2005). An Early Risk Assessment Model for Substance and Alcohol Abuse in School-Aged Children Using Predictors of Risk for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Director Community Partnership Assessment, Office of External Affairs, UofL. Graduate Dean’s Citation.
- Borders, Kevin W. (May, 2002). Utilizing Two Public-Use Datasets for Predictors of Institutional Abuse. Kent Research Faculty. The Guy Stevenson Award for Excellence in Graduate Studies.
- Cappiccie, Amy. (May, 2006). A Proposed Model of Immigration Evolution Applied to the United States, Germany, and Russia. Assistant Professor, Western Kentucky University. Graduate Dean’s Citation.
- Cassity-Caywood, Whitney. (May, 2005). The Housing Realities of Persons with Severe and Persistent Mental Illnesses in Rural Areas. Part time faculty, Western Kentucky University.
- Conley, Cindy. (May, 2007). Parental Experiences of Having Gay or Lesbian Children: Concerns Regarding Etiology, Public Perception, and Child Well Being. Graduate Dean’s Citation.
- Cooper, Lyle. (May, 2004). The Problem of Substance Misuse and the African American Community. Assistant Professor, College of SW, University of TN Nashville. Graduate Dean’s Citation.
- Copeland, Col. Carol. (2005, August). U.S. Air Force Families with Young Children who have Special Needs. Dir of Services for Special Needs Children, US Air Force, The Pentagon. Graduate Dean’s Citation.
- Crews, Diane. (2006, December). Mental Health Workers’ Attitudes Toward the Mentally Ill. Social Worker, University of Louisville Hospital.
- Daugherty, Robert H. (December, 2003). Social Work Education and Public Assistance Workers in Kentucky, 1956-2001. Assistant Professor, Aurora University, Aurora, IL.
- Diehl, Daniel S. (May, 2003). Social Work Services in Schools: Evaluation of a Community-School Work Model. Diehl Evaluation and Consulting Services, Inc., Evansville, IN.
- Doolittle, Amy. (December, 2006). Service-learning Outcomes at a Faith-based Institution of Higher Education. Assistant Professor in the Social Work Department, University of Tennessee Chattanooga. Graduate Dean’s Citation.
- Drewry, Steve A. (May, 2004). The Cost of Wisdom: A Comparative Theoretical Analysis of Research Ethics in the United States, Germany, and Hungary. Capital University, Columbus, OH. Graduate Dean’s Citation.
- Eastridge, Darlene, (May, 2005). How Social Work Educators Teach Aging in the BSW Curriculum. Dean of Social Work, Campbellsville University, Campbellsville, KY
- Gamble, Jenifer. (December, 2008). Leadership Trends in the Non-Profit Sector: A North American Sample of United Way Executive Directors.
- Gibson, Laura, (August, 2007). Determining When Guardianship is Appropriate for Adults: The Contribution of Interdisciplinary Teams in Kentucky. Field Educational Consultant, Eastern Kentucky University.
- Hall, Jon C. (August, 2005). Social Constructionism as a Unifying Metaperspective for Social Work. Assistant Professor, University of North Carolina Wilmington, Wilmington, NC. Graduate Dean’s Citation;
- Hayden, Arthur. (May, 2005). The Alternatives to Detention Program: Assessment of One Kentucky County's Efforts to Deinstitutionalize Status Offenders. Kentucky’s Cabinet for Health and Family Services; Part time faculty, College of Social Work, University of Kentucky.
- Head, Barbara. (May, 2007). Development and Validation of a Scale to Measure Health-Related Socioeconomic Well-being in Persons with a Cancer Diagnosis. The Guy Stevenson Award for Excellence in Graduate Studies. Graduate Dean’s Citation. Instructor, UL’s School of Medicine,
- Heitzman, Judy. (May, 2005). Survival songs: How refugee and immigrant women experienced violence. Part time faculty, Kent, UL.
- Hendrix, Sarah. (May, 2006). The Relationship between Eudemonic Wellbeing and Job Status of Social Work Educators. Deputy Director of Family Services, Family Care Center, Lexington Fayette Urban County Government. Graduate Dean’s Citation.
- Irwin, Bart. (May, 2005). The Utilization of Health Care Safety Net Providers by Homeless Adults for Nonurgent Health Care Services and the Quality of those Services. Assistant Director at Family Health Centers. Graduate Dean’s Citation.
- Jewell, Jennifer. The Development of Community Organizations by Poor Women in China and the United States. Assistant Professor, Spalding University, Graduate Dean’s Citation
- Keeton, Nancy A. (December, 2001). Life Beyond The Numbers: The Effects of Welfare Reform in Kentucky. Director of BSW Program, Brescia University.
- Kemp, Dru. (December, 2006). Welfare Reform: How Did Children Fare in the Early Years? Graduate Dean’s Citation.
- Kim, Suk-hee. (May, 2005). Executive Cognitive Functions of Elderly HIV/AIDS Clients in a Primary Care Setting: The Importance of Social Services. Assistant Professor, Norfolk State University. Graduate Dean’s Citation.
- Kohli, Hermeet K. (August, 2003). Building an Assessment Model to Measure Cultural Competence in Graduating Social Work Students. Assistant Professor, University of Southern Maine.
- Lay, Kathy R. (May, 2002). How Feminism Informs Theory for Social Work Practice. Assistant Professor, Indiana University. Graduate Dean’s Citation.
- McGuire, Peg.(December, 2006). Factors of Effectiveness in Kentucky Nonprofit Social Welfare Organizations. Assistant Professor, Ohio University Ironton.
- Mudd, Helen. (May, 2004). Risk Assessment as a Measure of Effectiveness of Child Protective Services in a Public Child Welfare Agency. Director of the MSW program at Campbellsville University. Graduate Dean’s Citation.
- Pahl, Kathy. (December, 2006). Nonprofit Board Effectiveness: A Cross Cultural Study. Professor, University of Cape Town, South Africa. Graduate Dean’s Citation.
- Patterson. David (May, 2006). Motivational Interviewing: Does it Increase Alcohol and other Drug Addicted Clients’ Retention in Outpatient Treatment? Assistant Professor, SUNY Buffalo. Graduate Dean’s Citation.
- Phillips, Iris J. (May, 2001). Homecare Satisfaction Methodological Study. Associate Professor, University of Southern Indiana, Evansville, IN
- Pooler, David K. (August, 2005). The Health of Social Workers in Kentucky: A Model of Risk and Protective Factors of Professional Impairment. Assistant Professor, University of South Carolina. Graduate Dean’s Citation. .
- Rowan, Noell. (May, 2005). Testing a Model of Treatment Success of LGBT Chemically Dependent Clients. Kent Research Faculty and Co-Director BSW Program. Graduate Dean’s Citation.
- Soelter, Eric. (Dec., 2007) Socio-Cultural Influences and the Evolution of the Welfare State in England, Germany, The United States and Hungary
- Studts, Christina. (May, 2008) Improving Screening for Externalizing Behavior Problems in Very Young Children: Applications of Item Response Theory to Evaluate Instruments in Pediatric Primary Care. Assistant Professor, UK School of Medicine.
- Sullivan, Dana J. (December, 2003). The Kentucky Foster Care Census: Measuring Child Well-Being Welfare System. Kent Research Faculty and Co-Director BSW Program. Graduate Dean’s Citation.
- Taylor, Linda B. (December, 2001). The Relationship between Transitional Assistance to Needy Families and Child Protective Services in Kentucky’s Cabinet for Health and Family Services. Instructor, Western Kentucky University.
- Tucker, Michelle. (August, 2008). Predictors of Critical Thinking as a Component of an Outcomes Assessment in a Graduate Level School of Social Work.
Assistant Professor, Campbellsville University.
- Tungate, Pam. (May, 2005). Legacy Children: Whose Legacy Are They? Kentucky’s Cabinet for Health and Family Services.
- Ulrich, Steve. (December, 2006). International Social Work Best Practices for Schools of Social Work. Ryan White Prevention Grant Administrator, Cabinet for Health & Family Services, Frankfort, KY.
- Valade, Rita. (May, 2004). Participatory Action Research with Adults with Mental Retardation. Director of MSW Program, Spalding University, Louisville, KY. The John M. Houchens Prize and Graduate Dean’s Citation.
- Wright, Elaine. (12,2007) Globalization and Social Work Education: An Initial International Inquiry.
- Zollinger, Prudence. (May, 2006). The Needs of Children of Incarcerated Parents. Dept. of Defense, Clinician, Ireland Army Hospital, Ft. Knox, KY, and Part Time Faculty, Western Kentucky University