Wireless Network v2.0
The wireless network uses 802.11g equipment providing up to 54Mbps connectivity and is currently being upgraded to 802.11n equipment capable of speeds up to 300Mpbs. See the Pervasive Wireless Project page for more details. The UofL wireless network is a secure network that encrypts traffic on the network to prevent intrusions and interception of traffic.
Faculty, staff and students have the option to use the built-in wireless support in the Windows and Macintosh operating systems or to use the Odyssey wireless client software for additional features.
Guests may register for short-term network access without using the Odyssey client, but will not have the same level of network security as faculty, staff, and students. All faculty and staff have the ability to sponsor a guest wireless user. The following sections describe the features of the system, and link to configuration and installation instructions.
- System requirements
- How to set up wireless access with no software needed
- How to setup wireless access with Odyssey
- Guest wireless access
The Client-Less solution is available for devices such as Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Linux, Windows Mobile, Android OS, WebOS, iPhone OS, all versions of Mac OS X, and any other device capable of WPA2 security utilizing PEAP authentication.
The Odyssey client is currently available for Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7.
Setup "Client-less" Secure Access
Faculty, staff and students can set up secure wireless access using the built-in features of the Windows and Mac operating systems. Configuration instructions are available for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Mobile 5/6, Android 1.5 & 2.0+, Mac OS X, and Ubuntu Linux. Additional configurations may be available in the future for other systems.
Note: The "quick install" instructions do not include screen shots.
- Windows 7 - quick install - detailed instructions
- Windows Vista - quick install - detailed instructions - video demo
- Windows XP - quick install - detailed instructions - video demo
- Mac OS Leopard (10.5.2)- detailed instructions
- Mac OS X 10.4.11 - detailed instructions
- Android 1.5 - detailed instructions
- Android 2.0+ - detailed instructions
- Windows Mobile 5 and 6 - quick start instructions
- Ubuntu Linux - detailed instructions
Odyssey Client version 5.0
The Odyssey client provides network authentication (using your ULink userid and password), and encryption of your wireless network traffic. Verison 5.0 supports Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. The Odyssey client software is available at no charge to faculty, staff and students, and can be downloaded in the free software section of the iTech Xpress web site. Please read the installation instructions before attempting to download.
- Odyssey 5.0 client - XP installation instructions - Vista installation instructions - download (iTech Xpress) - home and travel use
The Odyssey Client is compatible with any wireless adapter card that fully supports 802.1x. Please insure you have the latest driver and firmware updates for your wireless card or built-in wireless. For PDA devices, there is a client for PocketPC 2002 and Windows Mobile 5 operating systems. Installation on these devices requires a desktop/laptop computer with a current version of the Windows operating system.
Wireless Access for Guests
Temporary guest access is available for visitors of the university and may be requested by any faculty or staff. Note: Guest network sessions are not encrypted.
- Requesting Guest Access - quick start - detailed instructions - video demo - Request Guest Access Now
- Windows XP - connection instructions - video demo
- Windows Vista & Windows 7 - connection instructions - video demo
Bulk Load Guest Wireless Access
Please remember that if you are planning a large event with possible high demand for wireless access in a single location, the University wireless network has limited capacity. Event participants may experience access problems if demand exceeds your location's capacity. Please check the wireless locations page for coverage.
If you have a need for multiple guest wireless accounts, please contact the Help Desk with the name of the conference/meeting/event, the number of accounts needed and the date for which the accounts are needed. A member of the Secure Access Management team will contact you complete your request.