Student Visa Types
Once accepted to the university, students are issued either an I-20 or DS-2019. These documents are necessary when applying at an American consulate or embassy for an F-1 (I-20) or J-1 (DS-2019) non-immigrant visa. Visit the US Department of State's website for more details.
- J-1 students are allowed to change to a higher degree, but cannot move from one degree level to a lower degree or from a non-degree to degree student. They must also remain in the same field of study as listed on the DS-2019 used for entry into the US.
- F-1 students have no restrictions on either changing degrees or fields of study.
The Grace Period After Study is Completed
- J-1 students have 30 days.
- F-1 students have 60 days.
- J-2 dependents can apply for work authorization and can pursue a degree.
- F-1 dependents can neither work nor pursue a degree.
The Two-Year Home Country Residency Requirement
- Certain J-1 students are subject to the Two-Year Home Country Residency Requirement.
- F-1 students are not subject to this requirement.