Social Security

Unless you are a non-citizen who wants to work in the United States, you probably do not need a Social Security number. Generally, only non-citizens authorized to work in the United States by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can get a Social Security number. Social Security numbers are used to report an individual’s wages to the government and to determine a person’s eligibility for Social Security benefits. You need a Social Security number to work, collect Social Security benefits and receive some other government services. Lawfully admitted non-citizens can get many benefits and services without a Social Security number. You do not need a number to get a driver’s license, register for school, obtain private health insurance, or to apply for school lunch programs or subsidized housing. Some organizations use Social Security numbers to identify you in their records. Most, however, will identify you by some other means if you request it. We cannot assign you a Social Security number solely so you can get a driver’s license or a service that requires a credit check. Although many companies, such as banks and credit companies, may ask for your Social Security number, you generally are not required to provide one if you don’t have one.

You can find more information on social security numbers by clicking here.

If you have an on-campus position or are receiving funding from the university then you will need to visit the International Center.  You will need to bring a letter from your department that verifies that you will be receiving a position on-campus.  A sample of the letter that will need to be received from your department can be found by clicking here.

Note: The letter from the department that you will be receiving funding from or the department in which you will work on-line will need to be written on the departments letterhead.