Roland Valdes, Jr., Ph.D.
Professor of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine and of Biochemistry & Distinguished University Scholar
Email Roland Valdes
Phone Number: (502)-852-1778 (Office)
Fax Number: (502)-852-7674
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
Ph. D. 1976, University of Virginia
- Professor, Distinguished University Scholar, and Senior Vice-Chairman
- Academic Affairs, Research and Development
- Chief, Clinical Chemistry and Toxicology Services
- Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
- Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine and of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Medicine
- Chief, Clinical Chemistry and Toxicology and
- Director, Postdoctoral Clinical Chemistry Program
- Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Louisville Hospital
- Clinical Chemistry and Toxicology, Pharmacogenetics, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
- Marjorie Bon Homme, Ph.D. Completed Fellowship June 2006 Assistant Professor, UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine, Center for Health Sciences, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Los Angeles
- Deanna DH Franke, Ph.D., DABCC Completed Fellowship June 2007 Clinical Scientist. Pathology Consultants of South Broward, LLP, Hollywood, FL
- Pamela Steele, Ph.D. Completed Fellowship January 31, 2008 Clinical Chemist, Marshfield Clinic, Marshfield, WI
- Mohammad Al-Ghoul, Ph.D. Completed Fellowship June 2009 Senior Research Associate Valdes Laboratories UofL
- Sean L. Barnes, M.D., Ph.D. Anticipated Completion December 2009
- Rosemary J. Williams, B.A. Assistant to the Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Research Division, Administrator Clinical Chemistry Fellowship Program
- Edward (Pete) Womack, MT(ASCP) MS, Senior Research Techician
- William W. Tucker, Research Technologist
- Paul Finley Lectureship Award, University of Arizona, Tucson. April 24, 2008
- Distinguished University Scholar Award (renewal), University of Louisville, April 15, 2006
- Award for Outstanding Contributions Through Service to the Profession of Clinical Chemistry (2005). A major national recognition award selected by the American Association for Clinical Chemistry, Orlando FL, July 2005
- Steele PS, Linder MW, Valdes RJr, Franke DDH, Jortani SA. Proteomic Study of Hepatic Nuclear Extracts in an Adaptive Acetominophen Tolerance Model. Clinical Proteomics 2009;5:69-74.
- Linder MW, BonHomme M, Reynolds KK, Gage BF, Eby C, Silvestrov N, Valdes RJr. Interactive Modeling for Ongoing Utility of Pharmacogenetic Diagnostic Testing: Application for Warfarin Therapy. Clin Chem 2009;55:1861-1868.
- Puglia MJ, Franke DD, Barnes SL, Zercher A, Brock D, Foltz M, Valdes RJr. Adiponectin Receptor-1 c-Terminal Fragment (CTF) in Plasma: Putative Biomarker for Diabetes. Clinical Proteomics 2009;5:156-62.
- El-Mallakh RS, Stoddard M, Jortani SA, El-Masri MA, Stphton S, Valdes RJr. Aberrant regulation of endogenous ouabain-like factor in bipolar subjects. Psychiatry Research 2010. In Press.
- Valdes RJr, Jortani SA, Watson ID. Point-ofCare Testing and the Optimization of Pharmaco therapeutics. Book Chapter pp553-563 Point of Care Testing Needs, Opportunity, and Innovation 3rd Edition.
- Womack EP, Valdes RJr., Jortani SA. Liquid chromatography combined with Immunoassay as a reference method for analysis of digitalis. Book Chapter. Recent Advances in Chromatographic Techniques for Therapeutic Drug Monitoring (Dasgupta A, ed.) CRC Press. 2009.
- Al-Ghoul M, Valdes RJr. Fundamentals of Pharmacology and Applications in Pharmacogenetics. Clinics in Laboratory Medicine 2008;28:485-497.
- Bon Homme M, Reynolds KK, Valdes RJr. Dynamic Pharmacogenetic Models in Anticoagulation Therapy. Clinics in Laboratory Medicine 2008;28:539-552.
- Al-Ghoul M, Valdes RJr. Cardinolides in cancer prevention and treatment. Ther Drug Monit 2008 30(2):234-238.
- Womack EP, Jr, Reynolds KK, Valdes RJr., Linder MW. Identification of a synonymous polymorphism within the cytochrome P4502C9 gene that interferes with identification of the CYP2C9*2 allele. Ther Drug Monit 2007;29(5):607-611.
- Pugia MJ, Valdes RJr., Jortani SA. Bikunin (urinary trypsin inhibitor): structure, biological relevance, and measurement. Adv Clin Chem 2007;44:223-245.
- El-Mallakh RS, Miller J. Valdes RJr, Cassis TB, Li R. Digoxin-like immunoreactive factor in human cerebrospinal fluid. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 2007;19(1):91.
- Mukhopadhyay S, Jortani SA, ValdesRJr., Simmons CQ, Sullivan ED, Miller RD, Summersgill JT. Protein Expression Analysis of Chlamydia Pneumoniae Persistence by Combined Surface-Enhanced Laser Desorption Ionization Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry and Two-Dimensional Polyacrylamide Gel Electrophoresis. Clin Proteomics 2007; 02:205-216.
- Reynolds KK, Valdes Jr., Hartung BR, Linder MW. Individualizing Warfarin Therapy. Personalized Medicine 2007;4(1):11-31.
- Zhu Y, Shennan M, Reynolds KK, Johnson NA, Herrnberger MR, Valdes RJr, Linder MW. Estimation of Warfarin Maintenance Dose Based on VKORCI (- 1639 G>A) and CYP2C9Genotypes. Clin Chem 2007; 53(7):1721-22
- Ihenetu K, Qazzaz HM, Crespo F, Fernandez-Botran R, Valdes RJr. Digoxin-Like Immunoreactive Factors Induce Apoptosis in Human Acute T-Cell Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Clin Chem 2007;53(7):1315-22
- Pugia MJ, Jortani SA, Basu M, Sommer R, Juo HH, Murphy S, Williamson D, Vranish J, Boyle PJ, Budzinski D, Valdes RJr., Basu SC. Immunological evaluation of urinary trypsin Inhibitors in Blood and Urine: Rolf of N- &O-linked Glycoproteins. Glycoconj J 2007; 24(1):5-15.
- Zhu Y, Hein DW, Doll MA, Reynolds KK, Abudu N, Valdes RJr., Linder MW. Simultaneous Determination of 7 N-acetyltransferase-2 single-nucleotide variations by allele-specific Primer Extension Assay. ClinChem 2006; 52(6):1033-1039.
- Zhu Y, Valdes, RJr., Simmons CQ, Linder MW, Pugia MJ, Jortani SA. Analysis of ligand binding by bioaffinity mass spectrometry. Clinica Chemica Acta 2006:371(102):71-8.
- Linder MW, Valdes, RJr. Fundamentals of Pharmacogenetics. AACC Press 2006; Chapter 2 13-19.
- Alcade MG, Ahlner J, Anderson WH, Binnie CG, et al. Pharmacogenomics and Proteomics: Enabling the Practice of Personalized Medicine. AACC Press – Book. 2006 Wong SHY, Linder MW, Valdes RJr. Editors. Hortin GL, Jortani SA, Ritchie JCJr., Valdes, RJr., Chan DW. Proteomics: A New Diagnostic Fronteer. ClinChem 2006 52:7
- Thomas A, Tourassi GD, Elmaghraby AS, Valdes, RJr., Jortani SA. Data Mining in Proteomic Mass Spectrometry. Journal of Clinical Proteomics 2006.
- Sha ZA, Jortani SA, Tauman R, Valdes RJr., Gozal D. Serum Proteomic Patterns Associated With Sleep-Disordered Breathing in Children. Pediatric Research 2006;59:466-470
- Zhu Y, Valdes R Jr, Jortani SA. Application of Bioaffinity Mass Spectrometry for Analysis of Ligands. Ther Drug Monitor 2005;26:694-699.
- ULRF # 80701 – Research Disclosure Title: Dihydroouabin-Like Biologically Active Factor in Mammals; Inventors: Valdes and Qazzaz. Patent Appln family: “DIHYDROOUABAIN-LIKE FACTOR AND DIAGNOSTIC & THERAPEUTIC COMPOSITIONS AND METHODS.” U.S. Patent No. 6,835,715; issued Dec 28, 2004. EU application: Europe no. 913445.3, Allowed (will issue soon). U.S. Patent Application no. 12/009,844, filed Jan 22, 2008 (note: this application is a continuation application that was filed in place of the previous application, 10/988,991 which is now abandoned).
- ULRF # 04049 – Research Disclosure Title: Diagnosis of Sleep Apnea Using Urinary Proteomic Approaches; Inventors: Valdes, Jortani, and Gozal.Patent Appln family: “METHOD FOR DIAGNOSING OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEA”: Patent Appln family: 11/199,355, filed Aug 8, 2005
- ULRF # 06037 – Research Disclosure Title: Cardenolides (Plant and Mammalian) in Cancer Therapeutics and Risk Reduction; Inventors: Valdes, Qazzaz, Ihenetu, and Fernandez-Botran. Patent Appln family: “TREATING CANCER WITH CARDIAC GLYCOSIDES.” Patent Cooperation Treaty application no. PCT/US2006/042014, filed Oct 27, 2006. EU and AU Applications: Patent Applications filed in Europe and Australia on Dec. 9, 2008 (no serial numbers reported yet). U.S. Patent Application no. 12/131,763, filed Jun 2, 2008
- ULRF # 06064 – Research Disclosure Title: Personalized Medicine Management Tool. Inventors: Valdes and Linder Patent Application Family: “PERSONALIZED MEDICINE MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE.” Patent Cooperation Treaty application no. PCT/US2007/011033; filed May 8, 2007 U.S. Patent Application no. 12/300,104; filed Nov 7, 2008
- ULRF # 07051 – Research Disclosure Title: Urocortin III and Heart Failure. Inventors: Valdes, Gozal, Jortani, Prabhu. Patent Application Family: “METHODS FOR DIAGNOSIS OF HEART FAILURE.” U.S. Patent Application no. 12/239,289; filed Sep 26, 2008 U.S. Provisional Patent Application no. 61/100,517; filed Sep 26, 2008
- ULRF # 09021 – Research Disclosure Title: Hepatic Disease Diagnostic; Inventors: Jortani and Valdes.
- ULRF #10009 - Research Disclosure Title: Urinary Bikunkin as a Novel Approach to Time the Onset of Labor in Pregnant Women; Inventors: Valdes, Jortani and Stauble.
- Licensing Option from PGxL Laboratories with the University of Louisville (October 1, 2006 to September 31, 2007). Warfarin Computational Tool. Co-inventors: Mark W. Linder, Roland Valdes, Jr.
- Licensing Option from Dade Behring Diagnostics with the University of Louisville (July 2000 to July 2002. (See above – Date Behring Inc. 01/01 to 01/03 -)