Roland Valdes, Jr., Ph.D.
Professor of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine and of Biochemistry & Distinguished University Scholar
Email Roland Valdes
Phone Number: (502)-852-1778 (Office)
Fax Number: (502)-852-7674
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
Ph. D. 1976, University of Virginia
- Chief, Clinical Chemistry and Toxicology, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
- Founder and Director, Postdoctoral Clinical Chemistry Fellowship Program
- Laboratory medicine (clinical chemistry, toxicology, molecular biology); Pharmacogenetics; Cancer biology; Development and clinical validation of novel biological markers.
Current and Recent Alumni Clinical Chemistry Fellows:
- Lori Millner, Ph.D. (2012-2015) Fellow, Clinical Chemistry Program
- Trevor Pitcher, Ph.D. (2012-2014) Chief Fellow, Clinical Chemistry Program
- Thomas Kampfrath, Ph.D. (2011-2013) Clinical Biochemist, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, San Jose, CA
- Steven Truscott, Ph.D. (2010-2012) Clinical Chemist, Beaumont Health Systems, Royal Oak, MI
- Mark Borgman, Ph.D. (2009-2011) Assistant Director of Laboratory Services, PGXL Laboratories, Louisville, KY
- Sean Barnes, M.D., Ph.D. (2007-2009) Research Scientist
- Mohammad Al-Ghoul, Ph.D. (2007-2009) Chief Scientific Officer/Technical Director, Center for Disease Detection (CCD), LLC, San Antonio, TX
- Rosemary J. Williams, B.A. Assistant to the Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Research Division, Administrator Clinical Chemistry Fellowship Program
- Ellie Fridell, MLS(ASCP)CE, Research Technologist II
- Clinical Scientist of the Year Award, Association of Clinical Scientists, Louisville, KY, May 2011
- Paul Finley Lectureship Award, University of Arizona, Tucson. April 24, 2008
- Distinguished University Scholar Award (renewal), University of Louisville, April 15, 2006
- Award for Outstanding Contributions Through Service to the Profession of Clinical Chemistry (2005). A major national recognition award selected by the American Association for Clinical Chemistry, Orlando FL, July 2005
- Millner, L. M., Linder, M. W., & Valdes, R., Jr. (2013). Circulating tumor cells: a review of present methods and the need to identify heterogeneous phenotypes. Ann Clin Lab Sci, 43(3), 295-304.
- Yang, L., Valdes, R. Jr., Taubert, D., and Linder M.W. A diagnostic informatics approach for stratifying risk outcome based on combined genotype effects. Ther Drug Monit. 2012; 34(3):283-288. PM:22549497 (IF=2.5)
- Borgman MP, Pendleton RC, McMillin GA, Reynolds KK, Vazquez S, Freeman A, Wilson A, Valdes R Jr, Linder MW. Prospective pilot trial of PerMIT versus standard anticoagulation service management of patients initiating oral anticoagulation. Thromb Haemost. 2012;108(3):561-9. PM:22377747 (IF=5.005)
- Linder MW, Valdes R Jr. Chapter 4 Fundamentals of Pharmacogenetics. In: Kwong, Magnani, Rosan, Shaw (Eds.) The Clinical Toxicology Laboratory: Contemporary Practice of Poisoning Evaluation 2nd ed. Washington DC,. AACC Press 2012 (Book Chapter). ISBN:9781594251542
- Morello JP, Valdes R Jr. Reporting and interpretation of pharmacogenetics test results. In: Guidelines and Recommendations for Laboratory Analysis and Application of Phrmacogenetics to Clinical Practice. Washington, DC, National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry, 2010
- Ruano G, Valdes R Jr. Pharmacology and population genetics considerations and their applications in pharmacogenetics. In: Guidelines and Recommendations for Laboratory Analysis and Application of Phrmacogenetics to Clinical Practice. Washington, DC, National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry, 2010.
- Snow A, Gozal D, Valdes R Jr, Jortani SA. Urinary proteins for the diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Methods Mol Biol. 2010;641:223-41.
- Valdes RJr, Jortani SA, Watson ID. Point-of-Care Testing and the Optimization of Pharmaco therapeutics. Chapter pp553-563 Point-of-Care Testing Needs, Opportunity, and Innovation 3rd Edition 2010
- El-Mallakh RS, Stoddard M, Jortani SA, El-Masri MA, Stphton S, Valdes RJr. Aberrant regulation of endogenous ouabain-like factor in bipolar subjects. Psychiatry Research 2010;178:116-120. (IF=3.02)
- Womack EP, Valdes RJr., Jortani SA. Liquid chromatography combined with Immunoassay as a reference method for analysis of digitalis. Book Chapter in Recent Advances in Chromatographic Techniques for Therapeutic Drug Monitoring (Dasgupta A, ed.) CRC Press (2009). (IF=N/A, book)
- Pugia MJ, Franke DD, Barnes SL, Zercher A, Brock D, Foltz M, Valdes RJr.. Adiponectin Receptor-1 C-Terminal Fragment (CTF) in Plasma: Putative Biomarker for Diabetes. Clinical Proteomics 2009;5:156-62. (IF=N/A, new journal)
- Linder MW, BonHomme M, Reynolds KK, Gage BF, Eby C, Silvestrov N, Valdes RJr. Interactive Modeling for Ongoing Utility of Pharmacogenetic Diagnostic Testing: Application for Warfarin Therapy. Clin Chem 2009;55:1861-1868 (IF=6.11)
- Linder MW, BonHomme M, Reynolds KK, Gage BF, Eby C, Silvestrov N, Valdes RJr. Interactive Modeling for Ongoing Utility of Pharmacogenetic Diagnostic Testing: Application for Warfarin Therapy. Clin Chem 2009;55:1861-1868.
- Puglia MJ, Franke DD, Barnes SL, Zercher A, Brock D, Foltz M, Valdes RJr. Adiponectin Receptor-1 c-Terminal Fragment (CTF) in Plasma: Putative Biomarker for Diabetes. Clinical Proteomics 2009;5:156-62.
- Valdes RJr, Jortani SA, Watson ID. Point-of-Care Testing and the Optimization of Pharmaco-therapeutics. Book Chapter pp553-563 Point of Care Testing Needs, Opportunity, and Innovation 3rd Edition.
- Womack EP, Valdes RJr., Jortani SA. Liquid chromatography combined with Immunoassay as a reference method for analysis of digitalis. Book Chapter. Recent Advances in Chromatographic Techniques for Therapeutic Drug Monitoring (Dasgupta A, ed.) CRC Press. 2009.
- Al-Ghoul M, Valdes RJr. Fundamentals of Pharmacology and Applications in Pharmacogenetics. Clinics in Laboratory Medicine 2008;28:485-497.
- Bon Homme M, Reynolds KK, Valdes RJr. Dynamic Pharmacogenetic Models in Anticoagulation Therapy. Clinics in Laboratory Medicine 2008;28:539-552.
- Al-Ghoul M, Valdes RJr. Cardinolides in cancer prevention and treatment. Ther Drug Monit 2008 30(2):234-238.
Patents and Patent Applications:
- Valdes, R., and Qazzaz, H.M., United States Patent no. 6,835,715; “Dihydroouabain-Like Factor and Diagnostic & Therapeutic Compositions and Methods,” issued Dec 28, 2004; ULRF RDF ref. #80701.
- Valdes, R., Ihenetu, K.U., Fernandez-Botran, G.R., and Qazzaz, H.M., United States Patent Application serial no. 13/104,343, “Treating Cancer with Cardiac Glycosides,” filed May 10, 2011. Also pending is Canadian patent application #2,682,385, filed Sept. 29, 2009; ULRF RDF ref. #06037.
- Linder, M.W., and Valdes, R., United States Patent no. 8,380,539, “Personalized Medicine Management Software,” issued Feb. 19, 2013; ULRF RDF ref. #06064.
- Valdes, R., Gozal, D., Jortani, S.A., and Kheirandish, L., United States Patent Application ser. no. 13/121,037; “Methods and Kits for Diagnosing Obstructive Sleep Apnea,” filed Sept. 25, 2009; ULRF RDF ref. #11054.
- Technology RDF #06064 under Exclusive License Agreement with PGXL Technologies, LLC. License Agreement signed June 27, 2013.