George R. Pack, Ph.D.
Professor and Chairman of Chemistry, Associate Vice President of Research & Member, Brown Cancer Center
Email George Pack
Phone Number: 502-852-6798 (Office)
Ph. D. 1973, State University of New York at Buffalo
- Professor and Chair, Department of Chemistry
- Associate Vice President for Research, University of Louisville
- Gene Lamm, Ph.D. Associate Professor of Chermistry (Research)
Our group is interested in theoretical and computational biophysical chemistry. We have been developing and applying computational methods to the study of the properties of DNA. Electrostatic forces are particularly important in determining nucleic acid structure and function and the application of the Poisson-Boltzmann equation and Monte Carlo techniques have allowed us to describe the distribution of monovalent and divalent electrolyte ions around these polyelectrolytes. Recently, we have examined the mechanism by which DNA enhances the acid catalysis of small molecules and described the proton equilibria in the grooves of DNA. Along with these applications, we have been developing better theoretical descriptions of the dielectric properties of the DNA-electrolyte systems in order to increase the accuracy of computational approaches. Current efforts are directed toward developing the statistical mechanics of polyelectrolyte theory.
- Lamm, G. and Pack, G. R. “ Poisson-Boltzmann Theory of Counterion Condensation. 1. Analytical Results” submitted.
- Lamm, G. and Pack, G. R. “ Poisson-Boltzmann Theory of Counterion Condensation. 2. Numerical Algorithm” submitted.
- Babich, M., Foti, L.R.P., Wong, L. and Pack, G.R. “In Vitro Translation and Computational Analysis of Human Profilin Multimers” Proc. West. Pharmacol. Soc. 48, 39-43 (2005).
- Petrov, A.S., Lamm, G. and Pack, G.R. "Calculation of the Free Energy for Magnesium-RNA Interactions" Biopolymers 77, 137-154 (2005)
- Petrov, A.S., Lamm, G. and Pack, G.R. "The Triplex-Hairpin Transition in Cytosine-Rich DNA" Biophys. J, 87, 3954-3973 (2004).
- Lamm, G. and Pack, G.R. " Induced Coalescence of Cations Through Low- Temperature Poisson-Boltzmann Calculations" Biophys J. 87 (2), 764-767 (2004).
- Petrov, A., Pack, G.R. and Lamm, G., "Calculations of Magnesium-Nucleic Acid Site Binding in Solution" J. Phys. Chem B 108 (19), 6072-6081 (2004).
- Rakitin, A. R. and Pack, G.R. "Molecular Dynamics Simulations of Ionic Interactions with Dodecyl Sulfate Micelles" J. Phys. Chem B 108 (8), 2712-2716 (2004).
- Rakitin, A. and Pack, G.R. "Monte Carlo Calculations of Counterion Distributions around Micelles" Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 218, 265-276 (2003).
- Petrov, A., Lamm, G. and Pack, G.R. "Water-Mediated Magnesium-Guanine Interactions" J. Phys. Chem B 106, 3294-3300 (2002).
- Magnuson, E., Lamm, G., Koehler, J. and Pack, G.R. “Cation-DNA Recognition: The Contribution of Mg(H2O)6-π Interactions” Int. J. Quant. Chem. Gilda Loew Memorial Issue 88 236-243 (2002 ).
- Pack, G.R., Wong, L. and Lamm, G. "Divalent Cations and the Electrostatic Potential around DNA: Monte Carlo and Poisson-Boltzmann Calculations" Biopolymers 49, 575-590 (1999).