Douglas Borchman, Ph.D.
Professor of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
Email Douglas Borchman
Phone Number: (502) 852-7435 (Office)
Fax Number: (502) 852-7450
Room 413, Kentucky Lions Eye Center
Department of Ophthtalmology and Visual Sciences
University of Louisville
301 E. Muhammud Ali Blvd.
Louisville KY 40245
Ph. D. 1986, Wayne State University
- Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
- Professor (secondary appointment), Department of Chemistry
- Professor (secondary appointment), Department of Biochemistry
- Core Faculty, Institute for Advanced Education and Renewable Energy Research Institute
- Sung-Hye Kim, Undergraduate
- Uzma Pasha, Lab Technologist
- Zara Ashra, Lab Technologist
- Janeeta Akbar, Lab Technologist
- Veta Greenstone, Lab Technologist
- Rashmi K Shrestha, Undergraduate
- Lauren Varble, Undergraduate
- Shantanu Nervatla, Medical Student
- Eun Y. Kim, Undergraduate
- Soyoung L Chon, Undergraduate
- Johnathan T. Nguyen, Undergraduate
- Eiman Ashra, Laboratory Technologist
- Samad Faheem, Medical Student
Dr. Borchman received B.S. and Ph.D. degrees from Wayne State Unviersity before completing postdoctoral training at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York. His research is focused on ophthatmology and visual sciences, where his team recently characterized changes in human lens lipid composition with regard to age and cataract. This research led to the discovery of dihydrosphingomyelin, a major lens phospholipid. Dr. Borchman is also leading a group of research associates in studying the structure and interactions of the lipid tear film, which has yet to be fully described on a molecular level.
- Marian M., Liu L., Mukhopadhyay P., Paterson C. A., Borchman D. Regulation of PMCA Gene Expression by Hydrogen Peroxide in Human Lens Epithelial Cell Cultures. Open Ophthtalmol. J. 2:123-129, 2008.
- Borchman D., Foulks G.N., Yappert M.C., Mathews J., Leake K., Bell J. Factors Affecting Evaporation Rates of Tear Film Components Measured In Vitro. Eye and Contact Lens, 35:32-37, 2009.
- Oshima Y, Sato H, Zaghloul A, Foulks GN, Yappert MC, Borchman D. Characterization of Human Meibum Lipid using Raman Spectroscopy. Curr Eye Res. 34:824–835, 2009.
- Borchman D, Foulks GN, Yappert MC, Kakar S, Podoll N, Rychwalski P, Schwietz E, Physical Changes in Human Meibum with Age as Measured by Infrared Spectroscopy. Ophthalmic Res. 2010;44:34-42.
- Estrada R, Puppato A, Borchman D, Yappert MC. Re-evaluation of the phospholipid composition in membranes of adult human lenses by 31-P NMR and MALDI-MS. Biochim Biophys Acta-Biomembranes. 2010;1798:303–311.
- Foulks GN, Borchman D, Yappert MC, Sung-Hye K, McKay JW. Topical Azithromycin Therapy of Meibomian Gland Dysfunction: Clinical response and lipid alterations. Cornea, 2010;29:781-788.
- Foulks GN, Borchman D. Meibomian gland dysfunction:the past, the present, the future. Eye Contact Lens. In Press, 2010.
- Borchman D and Yappert MC. Lipids and the Ocular Lens. Lipid Res. 2010;51:2473-88.
- Borchman D, Foulks GN, Yappert MC. Confirmation of changes in human meibum lipid infrared spectra with age using principal component analysis. Curr. Eye Res. 2010;35:778-86.
- Borchman D, Foulks GN, Yappert MC. Changes in human meibum lipid with meibomian gland dysfunction using principal component analysis. Exp. Eye Res. 2010;91:246-56.