Douglas Borchman, Ph.D.
Professor of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
Email Douglas Borchman
Phone Number: (502) 852-7435 (Office)
Fax Number: (502) 852-7450
Room 413, Kentucky Lions Eye Center
Department of Ophthtalmology and Visual Sciences
University of Louisville
301 E. Muhammud Ali Blvd.
Louisville KY 40245
Ph. D. 1986, Wayne State University
- Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
- Professor (secondary appointment), Department of Chemistry
- Professor (secondary appointment), Department of Biochemistry
- Core Faculty, Institute for Advanced Education and Renewable Energy Research Institute
- Rimsha Chowha, undergraduate student
- Dylan Gerlach, undergraduate student
- Morgan Hunter, undergraduate student
- Sarah E. Milliner, graduate student
- Alexandria L. Oliver, undergraduate student
- Abigail Schnepf, graduate student
Dr. Borchman received B.S. and Ph.D. degrees from Wayne State Unviersity before completing postdoctoral training at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York. His research is focused on ophthatmology and visual sciences, where his team recently characterized changes in human lens lipid composition with regard to age and cataract. This research led to the discovery of dihydrosphingomyelin, a major lens phospholipid. Dr. Borchman is also leading a group of research associates in studying the structure and interactions of the lipid tear film, which has yet to be fully described on a molecular level.
Borchman D, Foulks GN, Yappert MC, Mathews J, Leake K, Bell J. Factors Affecting Evaporation Rates of Tear Film Components Measured In Vitro. Eye and Contact Lens, 35:32-37, 2009.
- Oshima Y, Sato H, Zaghloul A, Foulks GN, Yappert MC, Borchman D. Characterization of Human Meibum Lipid using Raman Spectroscopy. Curr. Eye Res. 34:824–835, 2009.
- Borchman D, Foulks GN, Yappert MC, Kakar S, Podoll N, Rychwalski P, Schwietz E. Physical Changes in Human Meibum with Age as Measured by Infrared Spectroscopy. Ophthalmic Res. 44:34-42, 2010.
- Estrada R, Puppato A, Borchman D, Yappert MC. Re-evaluation of the phospholipid composition in membranes of adult human lenses by 31-P NMR and MALDI-MS. Biochim. Biophys. Acta-Biomembranes. 1798:303–311, 2010.
- Foulks GN, Borchman D, Yappert MC, Sung-Hye K, McKay JW. Topical Azithromycin Therapy of Meibomian Gland Dysfunction: Clinical response and lipid alterations. Cornea, 29:781-788, 2010.
- Foulks GN, Borchman D. Meibomian gland dysfunction:the past, the present, the future. Eye Contact Lens. 36:249-53, 2010.
- Borchman D. and Yappert M.C. Lipids and the Ocular Lens. J. Lipid Res. 51:2473-88, 2010.
- Borchman D, Foulks GN, Yappert MC. Confirmation of changes in human meibum lipid infrared spectra with age using principal component analysis. Curr. Eye Res. 35:778-86, 2010.
- Borchman D, Foulks GN, Yappert MC. Changes in human meibum lipid with meibomian gland dysfunction using principal component analysis. Exp Eye Res. 91:246-56, 2010.
- Green-Church KB, Butovich I, Willcox M, Borchman D, Paulsen F, Barabino S, Glasgow B. Meibomian Gland Contribution to the Tear Film. In: The Report of the International Workshop on Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 52:1979-1993, 2011.
- Borchman D, Foulks GN, Yappert MC, Bell J, Wells E, Neravetla S, Greenstone V. Human meibum lipid conformation and thermodynamic changes with meibomian-gland dysfunction. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 52:3805-17, 2011.
- Ashraf Z, Pasha U, Greenstone V, Akbar J, Apenbrinck E, Foulks GN, Borchman D. Quantification of Human Sebum on Skin and Human Meibum on the Eye Lid margin using Sebum Tape, Spectroscopy and Chemical Analysis. Curr Eye Res. 36:553-62, 2011.
- Shrestha RK, Borchman D, Foulks GN, Yappert MC. Analysis of the Composition of Lipid in Human Meibum from Normal Infants, Children, Adolescents, Adults and Adults with Meibomian Gland Dysfunction using 1H-NMR Spectroscopy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 52:7350-7358, 2011.
- Borchman D, Foulks GN., Yappert MC, Milliner SE. Differences in Human Meibum Lipid Composition with Meibomian Gland Dysfunction using NMR and Principal Component Analysis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 53:337-47, 2012.
- Borchman D, Foulks GN., Yappert MC, Milliner SE. Changes in Human Meibum Lipid Composition with Age Using NMR Spectroscopy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 53:475-482, 2012.
- Faheem S, Kim S, Nguyen J, Neravetla S, Ball M, Foulks GN, Yappert MC, Borchman D. Wax-Tear and Meibum Protein, Wax-β-carotene Interactions in Vitro Using Infrared Spectroscopy. Exp Eye Res 100:32-9, 2012.
- Vishnubhatla S, Foulks GN, Borchman D. Contact Lenses and the Rate of Evaporation Measured in Vitro; the Influence of Wear, Squalene and Wax. Contact Lens Anterior Eye, 35:277– 281, 2012.
- Foulks GN, Borchman D, Yappert MC, Kakar S. Topical Azithromycin and Oral Doxycycline Therapy of Meibomian Gland Dysfunction: A Comparative Clinical and Spectroscopic Pilot Study. Cornea. 32:44-53, 2013.
- Borchman D, Yappert MC, Milliner S, Duran D, Cox GW, Smith RJ, Bhola R. 13C and 1H NMR Ester Region Resonance Assignments and the Composition of Human Infant and Child Meibum. Exp Eye Res, 112:151-159, 2013.
- Borchman D, Yappert MC, Milliner S, Bhola R. Confirmation of SQ in human eye lid lipid by heteronuclear single quantum correlation spectroscopy. Lipids. In Press, 2013.
- Borchman D. From the Bench to the Bedside. Infrared Spectroscopy and the Diagnosis and Treatment of Dry Eye and Cataracts. Spectroscopy, In Press 2013.
- Mudgil P, Borchman D, Yappert MC, Duran D, Cox GW, Smith RJ, Bhola R, Dennis GR, Whitehall JS. Human Meibum Saturation and Lipid Order. Exp Eye Res 2013, In Press.
Douglas Borchman, Gary Foulks. Wax-based emulsion for the treatment of dry eye conditions. US Patent Application #13/057,694.