Chuan Hu, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Email Chuan Hu
Phone Number: (502) 852-6287 (Office)
Fax Number: (502) 852-6222
Address: 319 Abraham Flexner Way, Rm 515
Dept. of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
University of Louisville School of Medicine
Louisville, KY 40202
Ph. D. 2000, Columbia University Medical Center
- Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, School of Medicine
- Nazarul Hasan, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Associate
- Krista A. Riggs, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Associate
- Yaman Babi, graduate student, Master degree
- David Humphrey, Research Technician
- Chris Nevitt, Research Assistant
Research Interests:Vesicular Trafficking in Cancer Metastasis and Angiogenesis:
Metastasis, the spreading of cancer from a primary site to distant organs, is responsible for 90 percent of the deaths from cancer. However, cancer metastasis is not well understood at the molecular level. The research of the laboratory is focused on a fundamental event of metastasis – migration of cancer cells. In migrating cells, plasma membrane components and the cell adhesion receptors integrins are transported by vesicles and exocytosed at the cell front. Using a variety of techniques including molecular biology, cell biology and confocal imaging, we are characterizing the SNARE protein complexes that mediate polarized exocytosis in cell migration. Our goal is to elucidate how SNARE proteins interact with signal transduction cascades to modulate the migration and metastasis of cancer cells.
Another project is aimed at VE-cadherin, the primary component of adherens junctions in endothelial cells. VE-cadherin regulates endothelial barrier function and the organization of endothelial cells during angiogenesis. We are investigating how vesicular trafficking regulates the availability and function of VE-cadherin on the cell surface.
Selected Publications:Research Papers:
- Hasan, N., and Hu, C. 2010. Vesicle-associated membrane protein 2 mediates trafficking of
alpha5beta1 integrin to the plasma membrane. Experimental Cell Research 316:12-23.
- Hasan, N., Corbin, D., and Hu, C. 2010. Fusogenic pairings of vesicle-associated membrane proteins (VAMPs) and plasma membrane t-SNAREs – VAMP5 as the exception. PLoS One. 5(12):e14238
- Luftman, K., Hasan, N., Day, P., Hardee, D., and Hu, C. 2009. Silencing of VAMP3 inhibits cell migration and integrin-mediated adhesion. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 380:65-70.
- Xu, M., Waters, C.L., Hu, C., Wysolmerski, R.B., Vincent, P.A., Minnear, F.L. 2007. Sphingosine 1- phosphate rapidly increases endothelial barrier function independently of VE-cadherin but requires cell spreading and Rho kinase. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 293(4):C1309-1318.
- Hu, C. *, Hardee, D., and Minnear, F. 2007. Membrane fusion by VAMP3 and plasma membrane t-SNAREs. Exp Cell Res 313:3198-3209. (* corresponding author)
- Antinozzi, P.A., Garcia-Diaz, A., Hu, C., and Rothman, J.E. 2006. Functional mapping of disease susceptibility loci using cell biology. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:3698-3703.
- Giraudo, C.G.*, Hu, C.*, You, D., Slovic, A.M., Mosharov, E.V., Sulzer, D., Melia, T.J., and Rothman, J.E. 2005. SNAREs can promote complete fusion and hemifusion as alternative outcomes. J Cell Biol 170:249-260. (* contributed equally)
- Hu, C., Ahmed, M., Melia, T.J., Sollner, T.H., Mayer, T., and Rothman, J.E. 2003. Fusion of cells by flipped SNAREs. Science 300:1745-1749.
- Hu, C., Oliver, J.A., Goldberg, M.R., and Al-Awqati, Q. 2001. LRP: a new adhesion molecule for endothelial and smooth muscle cells. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 281:F739-750.
- Hasan, N., and Hu, C. Roles of VAMP2 and VAMP3 in Vesicular Trafficking of Integrins. Gordon Research Conference – Lysosomes & Endocytosis, Andover, New Hampshire, June 20-25, 2010.
- Hasan, N., and Hu, C. Roles of VAMP2 and VAMP3 in Integrin Trafficking. Gordon Research Conference – Signaling By Adhesion Receptors, Waterville, Maine, July 11-16, 2010.
- Hasan, N., Hu, C. Vesicle-associated membrane protein 2 mediates trafficking of a5b1 integrin to the plasma membrane. American Association for Cancer Research 100th Annual Meeting, Denver, Colorado, April 18-22, 2009.
- Hu, C, and Hardee, D. VAMP3 mediates VE-cadherin recycling. American Heart Association Research Symposium, New Orleans, Louisiana, November 7, 2008.
- Hu, C., Hardee, D., and Minnear, F. Membrane fusion by VAMP3 and plasma membrane t-SNAREs. Gordon Research Conference – Molecular Membrane Biology, Andover, New Hampshire, July 8-13, 2007.